Seting up an Atman CF1200 External Filter

js

I have just purchased a 4 foot tank, that has come with an Atman CF1200 External Filter. All accessories were in a couple of boxes that came with the tank, and there is no instruction manual on how to set up the filter and get it working.

I have tried google, but no luck so far.

Can anyone help me, or point me to a website that has an instruction manual (in English, because the only thing I could find on google, said the instructions are in Chinese).

Many thanks for your help.

The Atman Canister filter is made by the same factory that makes the AquaOne, however it is not the same as the AquaOne CF1200. This one is way newer, more powerful, and comes with push to prime. (The AquaOne CF series is an old Atman EF series)

The Atman CF1200 does 1550L/H with the media volume of 12L, suitable for aquarium between 3 to 5 foot.

This canister filter is for people that have a slightly bigger tank for a normal canister or just want something more powerful

http://www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz/filter.htm

They are slightly different, but the filter setup should still be the same.

HTH

lol anyone else think that it is stupid they called it the CF1200 when that used to relate to a filter that did 1200LPH but this one does 1500LPH, why not call it the CF1500? Just my 2c worth :)

Js did you get the filter running? The easiest way to do it is to put the filter below the tank level setup the inlet pipe in the tank and then suck on the outlet tap to establish a siphon through the filter, place the outlet into a bucket until water flows freely, close the taps place the outlet in the tank where you want it, plug it and open the taps again it should be going :) If it doesn't go just lean the filter over (towards the outlet side) and it should start then you can gradually lower it as it clears the air out.

Thanks for your help. Yes, have just got it all working now. Tank is full and just have to wait for the cloudiness to disappear. Think the filter was missing the walking stick part which curves over the top of the tank, but my husband has managed to get it all going. Very exciting, have been trying to talk him into this for some time now!

Just happened to see sponge filters for the Aqua One CF1200 at the pet shop today and realised that ours might be missing bits. It has 3 trays and the 1st one only had noodles, then the 2nd one had noodles and a piece of very old looking wool filter and then the 3rd one had noodles and a new looking black sponge filter. But according to the Aqua One box, it looked like I should have a blue sponge in tray 1 and 2 and the wool should be with the black sponge in tray 3. So I have bought a new wool filter and 2 blue sponges and hope this is correct.

Thanks once again for your help. No doubt I will be asking more questions soon.

i have 3 CF range canisters & they all have 1 blue & 1 black filter pad in each whether they have 2 or 3 trays. put the blue on a lower tray than the fine pad filter, the water gets syphoned down the "pipes" to the bottom then sucked up through the pads & media & out via the impeller. the water should go through the blue sponge first rater than clogging up the finer balck sponge with the big stuff.

i have 3 CF range canisters & they all have 1 blue & 1 black filter pad in each whether they have 2 or 3 trays. put the blue on a lower tray than the fine pad filter, the water gets syphoned down the "pipes" to the bottom then sucked up through the pads & media & out via the impeller. the water should go through the blue sponge first rater than clogging up the finer balck sponge with the big stuff.

My last CF1200 had two black and two blue.:)

Well, we got up this morning to find the cupboard under the tank very wet with water. After cleaning up, we have found it came from the air pump. We turned this off before going to bed (as there are no fish in the tank yet). It is connected to a bubble tube thing which we have running along the back wall. But it seems that because we turned it off, the water returned up the line to the pump. About 10 minutes ago the pump went bang! So now I need a new one. Has anyone had this problem? If the power goes out then this would happen again. Can you get non return valves for them. In my little tank I just had it connected to a little air stone and this problem never occurred.

It is very common for the water to back siphon down airline hoses when a pump fails or is turned off... Most people use check valves (should be able to get these for 50c-$1 at your LFS) and/or always position their airpumps above the level of the water just in case the pump fails.. Unfortunately it is one of those things when you start out that you don't think about unless someone tells you or it happens to you :(

I just don't use them. There's no need for them if you have a good filter to airate the tank.

If you run on the heavier side of stocking they can be a good idea I had a heavily stocked tank I used the spray bar above the water on and it fell in, I came home to some almost dead gasping fish.. Now I have airstones or 2 filters in most tanks just in case something goes wrong with the filter.

If you run on the heavier side of stocking they can be a good idea I had a heavily stocked tank I used the spray bar above the water on and it fell in, I came home to some almost dead gasping fish.. Now I have airstones or 2 filters in most tanks just in case something goes wrong with the filter.

That's why you have two filters.:P

Of course, didn't do me much good when one spraybar came off and a clump of java moss that hadn't moved in a year decided to move and clog the other filter intake while I was on vacation.:(

I have just rung the pet shop to check about the non return valve. Feeling rather sick (or perhaps I should be feeling lucky), because the guy said it could have drained the whole tank. Talking hubby into 200ltr + from a 54litre may have ended in divorce.

Ok, just about to head back into town and get a new pump and non return valve.

Is there any other things I should know about. Feeling a little bit nervous about the possibility of a good 200ltrs of water pouring into the lounge.

Another winters day here, so good excuse to light the fire and help dry out the carpet! Thanks for your responses.

I have just rung the pet shop to check about the non return valve. Feeling rather sick (or perhaps I should be feeling lucky), because the guy said it could have drained the whole tank. Talking hubby into 200ltr + from a 54litre may have ended in divorce.

Ok, just about to head back into town and get a new pump and non return valve.

Is there any other things I should know about. Feeling a little bit nervous about the possibility of a good 200ltrs of water pouring into the lounge.

Another winters day here, so good excuse to light the fire and help dry out the carpet! Thanks for your responses.

it is possible but not likely it would have drained the tank, it would need to syphon all 200ltrs through the air line into the pump diaphram & out so a tiny hole in it.

i put my canisters into trays incase there is a leak in them, might be another saftey measure for you.

That's a good idea about putting them in trays. All is fixed again now, so hopefully fingers crossed there will be no more floods.

Now, 2 more questions. Had to buy a new pump. Its a Hailea 2202 (same as the one which blew up). It's extremely noisy. We have it sitting on a piece of sponge, but it still seems noisier than the old one which was loud enough, when you are sitting in the lounge watching tv. Any ideas on how to quieten it down?

Also, when rummaging in the box of extras I got with my tank and filter, I have found a clear blue tinted plastic grill type thing, which is clearly in the shape of each of the trays in the filter. Should I have this in the filter? The person I got it off obviously didn't use it, but I am wondering I I should be, and if so in which section of the filter would you put it?

Thanks again for your help.

Some air pumps are just noisy I forget which ones are best as I now run a compressor in my fishroom but I am sure others can help, sometimes foam can help or adjusting the output of it a bit..

That grill sounds like the grill that is usually on the top tray, I think it is to stop the media getting sucked into the pump, as stuff like filter wool can tear off in strands and block the impeller..

Had to buy a new pump. Its a Hailea 2202 (same as the one which blew up). It's extremely noisy. We have it sitting on a piece of sponge, but it still seems noisier than the old one which was loud enough, when you are sitting in the lounge watching tv. Any ideas on how to quieten it down?

buy an eheim. The first thing i ask people is where the tank is. if its in the lounge, 95% of people will pay 4 times the price for an eheim. They do not make any noise, and they work well. I have a brand new eheim 400 pump and its brilliant. its total over kill though, and i may downsize.

Everything seems to be working great at the moment. Other than the noisy pump, which I think I will have to replace with a quieter more expensive one.

Regarding the filter, can someone tell me how often I would need to clean this out. Sorry for all the questions, but there was no instruction manual with it and I have never had a canister filter before.

Some people routinely clean filters bi monthly and others only clean them when the flow decreases. I tend to be in the latter category. However, if you keep filter wool in there, it will tend to clog up frequently so you may want to replace that more often and just leave the rest of it as it is. Just a personal choice.