Alage ID needed

phoenix44

yeah, i even removed the carbon. :o and that's a big no-no for me.

honestly this algae is like nothing I have ever seen. it actually latches onto the pipes and plumbing, and grows into them... sort of feels like a slippery fishing line. really weird.

I will probably remove the plants, treat them and put them back, but i have to treat the tank as well cause the algae has latched on to the glass, filter pipes, outlets, inlets etc.

the only ferts in the tank were the JBL balls and API root tabs, and the algae started appearing before I started using comprehensive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, that is really weird. So none of the algae turned pink when you treated with excel? Is the algae still growing at this point? I would remove as much visible algae as you can (including affected leaves), do a big water change, keep going with the high dose excel and trace, and add a couple of SAE. Give it a week before doing another water change and see if you can tell that the algae is not growing anymore.

This is the darned thing now. Ill get some SAE's. I didn't want them in case the plecos bred.... L002's may breed soon by the looks of it.

DSC07662Small.jpg

DSC07661Small.jpg

It is sucking the nutrient away from my precious swords and the crypts, and my macrandra is ruined.

Ok so for those of you struggling with this algae - H2O2 works brilliantly. Bleach, flourish and algae treatments didn't work for me.

here's the catch - my mortality list over the last 48 hours

• 2 red whiptails
    2 royal whiptails
    2 lancelota whiptails
    2/3+ spotty bn
    2 clown pleco (panaque)
    4 red flamingo guppies
    2 cobra green guppies
    6 brochis splendis, AKA emerald/green cory
    4 albino bn
    4 albino bn "white"
    3 normal bn
    2 Clown Loaches
    1 ancistrus ranunculus male

:evil: :cry:

Least to say I am not very happy, but can seek happiness in the fact that the fancy plecos were not harmed and the discus could not care less about the carnage over the last 2 days.

So let this be a learning curve for any one with the same alage.

Use H2O2 to get rid of it, but remove your plants and add the h2o2 to a bucket, dip the plants in and play the waiting game. Catfish in particular (clearly) are sensitive to Hydrogen Peroxide.

So now not only do I need more fish, I need more plants. Great. :evil:

my mortality list over the last 48 hours

• 2 red whiptails
    2 royal whiptails
    2 lancelota whiptails
    2/3+ spotty bn
    2 clown pleco (panaque)
    4 red flamingo guppies
    2 cobra green guppies
    6 brochis splendis, AKA emerald/green cory
    4 albino bn
    4 albino bn "white"
    3 normal bn
    2 Clown Loaches
    1 ancistrus ranunculus male

:evil: :cry:

ouch dude!

losing that many would probably put me off keeping fishes.

ouch dude!

losing that many would probably put me off keeping fishes.

man that sucks, it would put me off having plants i think. I have had no nasty algae issues since i changed to plant destroying africans, maybe there is a common ground there.

it wasn't supposed to have killed the fish... in fact, from research online, it was safe, as long as I didn't over dose, which I didn't.

well at least all my eggs were not in the same basket, so i have some replacements coming down in a few weeks time.

I'm totally gutted though. not happy at all. it would have been better (but not easier) for me to bin and replace the plants, but since the gravel was embedded with the algae, and the glass had it growing too, same with the filters, pipes, rocks etc, it had to be the tank that got treated.

35% H2O2. That is way too much. I only used 3% H2O2 with a syringe directly on the algae.

how can it be too much when all i mentioned was the conc of the fluid and not the amount i added to the water?

the final conc. of the soln added to the tank was no more than 4%

I don't know how much H2O2 you put in your tank, but if there were fish death, then you put more H2O2 than you should. See this thread http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... mover.html which discussed people's experience with H2O2.

I've dosed 2ml/gallon 3% H2O2 solution directly with a syringe, and reduce my lights down to 8 hours per day. There are still algae, but it is not as bad as before. Maybe I can bump it up to 3ml/gallon without affecting the fish, but then I've decided to use Flourish Excel.

So today I went shopping.... :o

(such an expensive habit)

got another 7 emerald cories / brochis splendis - that brings me up to 12 now.

4 of the new german imports of royal whiptails

2 "filamentosa" whiptails, although I suspect these are lancelotas -which I absolutely love.(aka. need more).