tanks and HRV

BikBok

Our new place has an HRV system (heat recovery ventilation) which will be new to us. Do these affect the tanks much?

Those of you with an HRV system, can you tell me what sort of maintenance is needed on them and do filters need replacing etc? The system if it's as old as the house would be about 4 years old. We're moving in next month.

Have had HRV in our place over 2 years, dont touch a fing. No difference on tanks, tanks have lids anyways.

What Mystic said, I've been living in my place with an HRV system for 4 months and haven't done anything. If anything it will make it so your tank heaters don't have to work so hard on cooler days as the heat that accumulates in your roof helps to heat your house to the temperature you set.

Best investment I have made.

Had dehumidifier running 24hrs to keep water off window sills.

Not even a mist now from day it was installed.

Mine has indicator on panel to tell when filter needs replacement.

Have not required new filters yet, only a few months old.

Strongly recommended.

Doesnt help if its cold outside, cold inside and cold in yur roof-space.

Its still cold, lol.

Exactly, when the roof space is at its hottest you won't want hot air circulated through your house, and vice versa, so you lose all the advantages of having clean air circulated. Heatpump FTW.

As for maintenance, is it actually an HRV brand? I'd just check their website.

They are very good at keeping the house a constant temp and they do drop the humidity (because the air in the roof is dryer)

As for looking after it you will need to change the filter on them every year. This is easy to do. All you do is take the big sock (looks like filter wool) off and put a new one on.

They are very good at keeping the house a constant temp and they do drop the humidity (because the air in the roof is dryer)

As for looking after it you will need to change the filter on them every year. This is easy to do. All you do is take the big sock (looks like filter wool) off and put a new one on.

thanks scottie... where do you get the "socks" from and how much $ ?

hi there we have had a hrv for 3 years its great no more mildew and when u come inside from out on a cold day you notice the difference have had the filter changed by hrv themselfs cost 250.00 after 2 years but we back on to the motorway so more to catch the filter is a big honeycomb like filter tthat sits into the unit our one is big as we have a outlet in all rooms so about 6 in total with the fish tanks dont notice it winter but now that the weather has got warmer i notice the level in the tanks drop but i just top them up good luck with move

The heat pump should not cause evaporation unless you are in cooling mode!!!!!!

The HRV will be more likely to be the cause as it really does dry out the house.

Maybe the air absorbs more moisture when you are heating.

Well yeah, heating air decreases its relative humidity. Lower relative humidity=more evaporation.