BBS

Brett1970

If you are feeding a number of tanks use an eye dropper to rinse the bbs from the strainer into a glass with a little fresh water, then distribute it with eye dropper to each tank and this way you will avoid spreading any diseases. The eye droppers I use are actually bigger than normal and are a small pippette from the chemist used for measuring medications for babies. Also ideal for picking up newly hatched killi fry.

I use an old handkerchief - one that has been through the wash so many times that it is so thin that it is virtually useless for it's intended purpose.

I built a bubbler thing for hatching the shrimp that was made out of the top half of a fizzy bottle and had an airline that went through a wooden base and then up through the lid of the inverted bottle - I stopped using this to hatch the shrimp as I could not keep the temperature consistent to get a good hatch rate - I now use it to strain the shrimp by placing the hanky over the top and pouring the jar of BBS into it, then release the water back into the jar using the airline tap and use it again. Pour clean water into the bubbler (closing the tap first) and use a turkey baster or pipette to feed the BBS out to the fish.

You don't need a heater.

Just use a lightbulb placed really close to the hatchery.

The bbs are also attracted to the light so come harvest time just remove the airstone and they will all end up where you point the light at. I point it right at the bottom of the container and then i just pipette them out. All the empty eggs float to the surface so no mixing occurs.