pix on making gravel vs sand barrier

Sophia

Hi

Here is what we did to make a barrier for my tank that is 60cm x 30cm x 33cm so I could give the corydoras a play area.

Original substrate was a fine chip gravel overlaid with small brightwater gravel. Later I introduced corydora and subsequent to doing homework after purchase instead of before, learned that they would be happier in sand. Came up with a compromise that keeps the gravel for the plants and keeps the sand some distance from the big filter that almost touches the bottom.

Notice the planting in the Before shots - there were pockets of more dense planting and there was always a cardinal tetra hiding somewhere. After spreading the twisted val and dividing the zealandia grass so fish could actually swim through it, the tetra now school together and don't hide so much.

This has been set up now for approx a month and is working well. The 3 corydora love to snuffle in the sand and I've since bought 4 younger ones to keep them company.

Silicone used was black Juwel aquarium rtv silicone

Glue for sticking polystyrene and stones was West System Epoxy

before2.jpg

before.jpg

cutouts.jpg

That is awesome :) It is very creative will it keep separated forever or do you think you will need to separate it all out again at some stage?

I saw a video here http://fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtop ... =18&t=1802 that is of a river in Brazil it is mostly of dwarf cichlids but there is some footage of the cories rooting around in the sand it is awesome to see a video of them in their natural habitat :) The video takes forever to download but well worth it..

That is awesome :) It is very creative will it keep separated forever or do you think you will need to separate it all out again at some stage? ..

there is very little sand seepage around the edges, when I siphon the gravel once a week I get maybe a quarter of a tsp of sand out of the gravel so i'm quite happy with that.

I have a flat piece of driftwood I use as a divider between a higher and lower level of gravel, rather than dividing gravel from sand. I find that, over time, the top layer dtifts over the top and around the edges to pile up at the lower level.

• 4 weeks later...