is Florapride why my nitrate levels have risen?

Sophia

I thought I should 'do the right thing' and fertilise the plants as I haven't done so since I set the tank up (August, and then a partial reset a month ago when swapping out half the gravel for sand).... the levels were between 0 and 0.5 and now they are 10. When I changed the gravel out I made sure not to wash the stuff that was staying behind and I didn't clean the filter, also kept at least half of the old water to try and maintain as much bacteria as possible. When I changed it the ammonia stayed at 0, nitrite went up very slightly and then returned to zero a few days later.

Fertiliser is the only thing that has changed since then.

:bounce:

i dosed it in the first place to try and give the plants a boost to fight off the staghorn algae.

then since last weekend I started putting the tanklight on for a few more hours after I learnt that the zealandia grass thingy needs more light

so will see how it goes. As the room does get some sunlight and general daylight I had hoped the light was enough without too much artificial, it was on from about 3 in the afternoon till 8pm. Now it's on from before 12 so will see what happens.

anyway thanks for answering my question :)

• 2 months later...
what is considered high phosphate?

and what is considered enough phosphate to contribute to algae growth?

Depends who you ask, but most phosphate test kits don't measure low enough...So generally if it has a reading you could do with lowering it.

Keep in mind, an imbalance in many nutrients can cause algae. If you remove all the phosphates you can have a problem. Instead of fixing a problem, prevent it at the source.

Plants can utilise phosphate, IF they have enough potassium. It's a similar story with nitrates and a number of other macronutrients. Easiest thing to do is provide a good trace nutrient supplement to the tank. The plants will then use up a lot of the excess nitrates and phosphates and your tank will be more likely to be balanced.

I've bought some flourish comprehensive to use with the excel and that should hopefully provide what is needed to boost the plants into eating some more of it.

In the shop they were all for me buying a phosphate removal pouch but I thought I'd put it to the board first to see it was an overreaction. I don't mind a little algae while the plants get used to the ferts.

I used to have really high phosphate levels and tried removing them with phoszorb and similar products but it just kept coming back, now that I feed my plants the phosphates have dropped to almost zero. I'm using Flourish Excel and another liquid fert(can't remember the name).