'protecting streams' drain signs

Stella

I am needing photos of different signs and symbols on drains (particularly street drains) trying to encourage people to think about what goes down them and the freshwater life it affects.

Some towns have metal fish, or plaques, or stenciled pictures.

We are looking to try and get something happening here and want examples from other places.

If there is something like this in your town could you please take a photo and email it to stella@inspire.net.nz

The photo doesn't have to be enormous, but preferably not blurry camera-phone ones.

Please include the name of your town in your email and then post the town name here so people know what what been done.

Thanks heaps! :-)

Supasi, they are definitely around, not everywhere but not overly uncommon either. Some in Hamilton too (randomly directed nudge)

Smidey, can you get a pic of the Whangarei one please?

maybe, not sure i will have the time or remember. they are a silver plate with pics of fish on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go Stella - go to Wellington for a holiday and end up taking photos of drain covers!

WCC-drain-cover-01.jpg

WCC-drain-cover-02.jpg

I don't know what is under the cover - didn't have anything on me pry one up, and I was getting enough weird looks bending over the damned things with my phone that has no zoom on the camera... people probably thought I was having a chuck down the drain :o

WCC-drain-cover-01a.jpg

They are pretty small - no man will fit down the gap when you remove the cover!

They are about 200mm across - that's 8 inches for you oldies.

They are all next to the stormwater grates on the kerb, there aren't that many around, either.

Doesnt Palmy have these already?

The round drain covers at least, the stormwater ones have a kokopu (or something like) on them and the sewers (?) have flax plants

or do you mean something else?

I think what Stella is doing is gathering images of they different types from around the country for reference and example purposes.

BTW, Stella, How much longer do I have to wait for my book? :wink: