Tank too hot!

Morcs

I have 2 digital aquaone thermometers. Today I had them both in each of my tanks together. On a 6ft tank and a 5ft tank they were within a degree of each other. Strangely (to me anyway) on a 3ft tank the same 2 thermometers showed a massive 6 degree difference.

I repeated the whole process giving them an hour in each tank...same result. There is quite alot of water movement in the 3 ft tank but that doesn't explain why one thermometer was lower than the other.

Its really not a problem but weird

I have 2 digital aquaone thermometers. Today I had them both in each of my tanks together. On a 6ft tank and a 5ft tank they were within a degree of each other. Strangely (to me anyway) on a 3ft tank the same 2 thermometers showed a massive 6 degree difference.

I repeated the whole process giving them an hour in each tank...same result. There is quite alot of water movement in the 3 ft tank but that doesn't explain why one thermometer was lower than the other.

Its really not a problem but weird

I've been tempted to get a good laboratory type thermometer as a known accurate temperature just for comparison. I had an aquaone(iirc) thermometer that I accidentally drowned so I took it apart. I think I remember there being a trim pot or two in it, I wonder if it can be used to calibrate the thermometer?

I have a very accurate digital thermometer that is accurate to 0.1 deg C and it has been worth it. Can calibrate heater thermostats, and incubators and know the temperature is what I want. Haven't own a test kit for pH, or anything else for over 30 years but this has been worth it. Used one at work to test dishwashing machines, fridges and freezers and finally invested in one for myself. Best thing I ever did.

I've been tempted to get a good laboratory type thermometer as a known accurate temperature just for comparison.

I have done exactly that. I've found that few of my digital thermometers are accurate and they vary in their inaccuracy. I have one that reads 3.5 degrees low at 26 degrees and another that reads 2 degrees high at 26 degrees. Most are within a degree so close enough for me. The floating glass type are more trustworthy IME.

I have done exactly that. I've found that few of my digital thermometers are accurate and they vary in their inaccuracy. I have one that reads 3.5 degrees low at 26 degrees and another that reads 2 degrees high at 26 degrees. Most are within a degree so close enough for me. The floating glass type are more trustworthy IME.

I used to have a big fancy thermometer with a range of thermocouples at work, never thought about using it on the tank :(