A very sad day

fish_fingers

Woke up this morning, early afternoon, to find my GBA breeding group (2 males and 3 females), their 20 plus babies and an Oto all dead, their bellies had exploded. The tank water was light brown and nothing seemed out of place. While trying to figure out what happened I touched the glass and it was bloody hot. The heater was still at 29 degrees, which it always was, but the actual temperature as 40 degrees as according to the thermometer. I'm guessing, which makes logical sense, that the heaters thermostat had broken and didn't stop heating :cry:

oh that sucks - sorry for you loss

Woke up this morning, early afternoon, to find my GBA breeding group (2 males and 3 females), their 20 plus babies and an Oto all dead, their bellies had exploded. The tank water was light brown and nothing seemed out of place. While trying to figure out what happened I touched the glass and it was bloody hot. The heater was still at 29 degrees, which it always was, but the actual temperature as 40 degrees as according to the thermometer. I'm guessing, which makes logical sense, that the heaters thermostat had broken and didn't stop heating :cry:

Gutted :( I had the same thing happen to me a month ago too lost a whole lot of dwarf cichlids some of them very hard to find and others waiting for partners that I had searched high and low to find :(

Do you have any GBAs in a different tank to rebuild and carry on with?

Sometimes despite the loss setting up a new tank can be alot of fun :)

ouch that gotta suck :( i fried my 1st lot of betta fry that i had been soooooo carefull with

im paranoid now lol,they need to make an alarmed therometer that goes off above a certain temp

You need on of these. The cost has to be less than a tank of fish

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/product_detail.php?id=836":3tpm0gzl]Aqua Minder

Electronic Thermometer-precise accuracy,includes programmable alarms to advise you when your tank is due for filter cleaning, w/changes etc.Also has a max/min temp alarm to stop fish from either cooking/freezing to death

The alarm is very loud!! and the display also flashes

Also displays the time & date.

Batteries are included.

You need on of these. The cost has to be less than a tank of fish

Thanks Scottie, I shall look into it. The only issue is that if I'm away and the same thing occurs, I'm not sure my flatty would be keen on this waking her up? I was telling my previous work mate about the death and she suggested I try a heater from the Hagen range, said it was bit more expensive but had a safety feature of some kind, can't recall the exact details.....funny what a few wines can do.....still I disgress. Cheers.