Why would ph lower overnight?

geana_wolf

I tested the water yesterday at about 5pm and it was around a 7.3 and then today at the same time and its gone down to a 6 :o

This tank belongs to my sister and its a new one there are 5 large gold fish in and about 10 small ones. its been running from monday 220L. there are some plants in there and a bit of wood that we have taken out because it lowers ph but would it affect the ph that much that quickly?

also gold fish like a ph around 7-7.5 right?

Thanks this one has me confused :-?

i think someone else here had a similar issue - if its what im thinking of they used an airstone or crushed shells to stabalize the ph

I tested the water yesterday at about 5pm and it was around a 7.3 and then today at the same time and its gone down to a 6 :o

This tank belongs to my sister and its a new one there are 5 large gold fish in and about 10 small ones. its been running from monday 220L. there are some plants in there and a bit of wood that we have taken out because it lowers ph but would it affect the ph that much that quickly?

also gold fish like a ph around 7-7.5 right?

Thanks this one has me confused :-?

Yep, goldfish produce a lot of waste and I suspect this is the cause of the pH drop.

Have all those fish been added at once to an uncycled tank? Dropping pH is going to be the least of your problems if so as I suspect you will also have high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings :cry:

Goldfish don't care what the pH is. :wink: