Whats the next step?

reef13

I have just seen that 1 of my maleri gold females had a funny looking mouth and on closer inspection can tell that she has a mouth full of eggs have never bred africans and wanted to have a go.

she is part of a group of 5, 1male and 4 female in a tank by themselves should i just leave her in there and just see how it goes or should i be looking at moving her.

first time even seeing a holding fish so any advice is good.

Hi Reef,

depends on how long she has been holding and also if you want babies or not

Some people let them hold the first few times others strip them from the get go...matter of personal preference. I try ang wait as long as possible without mum loosing condition.

that is my guiding principal. Generall 14-21 days is hold time for most africans

If you strip there are a couple of methods.

Over a jug of tank water or a net in the main tank you can gentle but firmly hold the Fem and open her mouth with a spoon or toothpick or your finger and "dunk" her until she is empty. I then float her in a net on the top of the tank until she looks ok and release her back into the colony.

many different ways but all work and matter of works for you.

You will need a small tank and a filter or lots of warter changes to hold babies in and pleanty of food for them. You dont need to feed while they have egg sacks and you can feed anything from crushed flake to bbs

HTH

Nav