moving soon

BikBok

when i moved i got a large chilly bin & put tank water & fish into it for transport. make sure you put an air hose in before & after travel depending on stocking.

empty your tanks, leave the substrate in & water in you filter if its an external. move the tanks & then fill it as if a 100% water change. i would add hot water to increase the temp somewhere near what they are used to.

i have done this twice without any losses. HTH

put your fish in containers, with a heater if its going to take a while, break down and move the tank as quickly as possible, set it up, fill it with as much of your good water as you can take and put your fish back in.

One tank at a time is how I have done it.

ok,. thanks for the replies.

We're moving just a few streets over so the fish won't be too long in bags and containers hopefully.

The chiliibin sounds like a good idea.. do they splash around much though?

Wondering if I should bag them in the chillibin or just have them in water only.

It's going to be fun trying to catch those Kuhli!!

i half filled my chillybin, oxygen is most important over water volume when moving fish. i would recoomend a chilly bin for ease of transporting, bagging may take ages depending on how many fish you have.

i have a 100L chillybin but had to transport 40 or so africans.

What size are the tanks? If they are small, leave a small amount of water in the bottom, along with the gravel and plants, and you won't have to catch the kuhlis at all :wink:

the 3 kuhli are in a small aquaone tank (34L) .. so it would be ok to leave them in that? that would simplify! Just have a bristle nose which we might rehome and four guppy also in that tank which could be bagged fairly easily.

Tanks that small are simple to move, especially if you slide them onto a solid base board to lift and move them without straining the base of the tank.

I would empty the water until there was just enough left for the fish to swim in, save the water in other containers, move the tanks, then put the water back. No catching fish required.