Danios in warmer waters??

Mel

OK cool, are they a schooling fish?

I want to put a huge group of some sort of fish in the discus tank, most of time you look at the tank and there's nothing there even though theres alot of fish in there they always seem to hide. So maybe putting a big group of something in there might bring everyone out :-? .... maybe?

I probably wouldn't keep them any warmer than 28 either, they may well handle the higher temps but it will shorten their lives and make them more prone to diseases.. Plus they are nowhere near as flashy as rummy noses or cardinals.. You guys have a heap of tanks why not get some cardinals and try and breed them, it would be a good project :)

LOl it's funny you should say that ryan as I was just thinking that before about having a go at breeding cardinals to get my big shoal, be alot cheaper then buying 50 odd from the lfs .. hmm that maybe the plan, now to get a male & female cardinal :roll: lol

28 deg is fine but remember that their system is geared to water temp, they go hypo and wont live as long.

Wouldn't lower temperatures make them hypo? I'd expect higher temperatures to make them hyperactive due to increasing their metabolism, not decreasing their activity levels like you say.

LOl it's funny you should say that ryan as I was just thinking that before about having a go at breeding cardinals to get my big shoal, be alot cheaper then buying 50 odd from the lfs .. hmm that maybe the plan, now to get a male & female cardinal :roll: lol

Seriously...Bought 12 from Animates when they had a 6 for $36 deal(Or something like that) all but 4 were dead in 2 days.

I have cardinals, but they aren't nearly as engaging as my danios were. I had some zebra danios to cycle a tank and they were so active and always interested in what was going on. They really brought the rest of the community out of their shell and I grew to like them. That said, I now have some green fire tetras that are very much like that too. The cardinals on the other hand are so much more shy. Just my experiences though.... :roll:

There is the theory that higher temperatures = faster metabolism = shorter life and it makes sense. But - I put a group of adult white clouds into a tropical tank March 2008 and there has only been one loss so far. Over that time they have shared with guppies, platties and angels - often with temps up to 28. I'm starting to get a picture that supposedly cold water fish also have a higher tolerance for hot. I don't know about the danios, but they might be the same.

I have black neons too. I find that they don't school much when they are in groups of 8 or less. I have 14 now and they school fine but they 'sit' around a lot hovering in one place and are quite skittish compared to my other tetras. They also are prone to disease (in my experirence) compared to other fish. They do breed easily in my tank though. I do like the look of them against the green plants even though people tend to think of them as quite ordinary. :wink: