has anyone ever had?????

trace&steve

i just seen this-

The dominant male will display the brightest colors, and will usually not permit subdominant males to mate with any females of the same species in the tank. In certain species, less dominant males actually acquire female coloration in order to avoid confrontations with the dominant male. In all-female groups, many times a dominant female will acquire male coloration.w for sure.

i have two of these one is 7 or 8 cm and the other is like 3 or 4 cm they were both brought at the same shop same time fed the same food and now the big one is beating the little one so its in a breeding trap.

so i am guessing its male and female ?

hmm they shouldnt be fighting if they are still small in size if they were male and female they dont start breeding till they are quite large like 3inches plus!!!!maybe you have 2 males but then again i have 2 in a different tank and i know ones male its about 12cm and the others around 9cm and i think its male to but they dont fight only real way is to vent them but yours would be abit small to vent at the mo!!!

has your bigger one got any yellow or blue colouring????

i have two of these one is 7 or 8 cm and the other is like 3 or 4 cm they were both brought at the same shop same time fed the same food and now the big one is beating the little one so its in a breeding trap.

so i am guessing its male and female ?

when in a group my male will have a go at the females and push them around a bit

but not overly agressive

the tank is 2.4 x .6m

sustained mouth to mouth pushing would suggest 2 males

IME male to female contact doesn't last too long

that said .the dynamics in a group of fish can change depnding on the size of the area they are housed in and hidey holes etc

also the personality of the individual fish comes into play, some are bullies some not

They will happily scrap each other out at 7-8cm usually they are in a big enough tank or you have enough giraffes in the tank to disperse the aggression so it is fine.

I have seen females with the slightest hint of colour in the face but it is nowhere near as much as a subdominant male.

My females about 20cm become a blue face from time to time when they are trying to become more "respect" (that was the case in my 250 liters tank). This blue was not that intensive than by the male. After upgrading my tank to 900 litres the agresion between females became less and the face not colouring blue that often. I have a group of 10 Venustus and they are after my upgrade very happy boys.

How big is your tank trace&steve?? Are there any other fish in the tank?

:roll:

hi there our tank is 700 litre so they have alot of space :wink: i just them sent from up norththey are all very large fish the actual male is around 23cm and the 2 females that are females are about 18-19cm and this other one im not sure about is around the 23cm to!!!!!

it has quite alot of blue showing in its face but then again looks different to the male it self :-?

the people i got them off said they were brought and vented as 1 male and 3 females i had them all in together but noticed abit of damage to the big male and the he/she :-? lol so i took the he/she out and left the big male in with the 2 girls they seem to be doing alot better we had them in the tank but them selfs when they first came but now were r-arranging our tanks and putting some of our other cichlids in with them like our red empress and afra's and electric yellows, auratus's

if you have an email address i can send you a pic of the giraffe im not sure about and another thing it has quite abit of the yellow blaze down its nose where my females dont have any??????

cheers

My females about 20cm become a blue face from time to time when they are trying to become more "respect" (that was the case in my 250 liters tank). This blue was not that intensive than by the male. After upgrading my tank to 900 litres the agresion between females became less and the face not colouring blue that often. I have a group of 10 Venustus and they are after my upgrade very happy boys.

How big is your tank trace&steve?? Are there any other fish in the tank?

:roll:

grrrr i seen them but he wouldnt ship to chch :( lucky you :hail::hail:

keep us informed on how they get on i have a male at 23cm and 2 females at 18-19cm they are in a 700litre tank with other africans :wink:

how big is your tank???

i just brought a breeding pair off of tradme me for $40 they are 10 to 15 cm so what size tank do i need for a pair?

i just brought a breeding pair off of tradme me for $40 they are 10 to 15 cm so what size tank do i need for a pair?

I would say you will need a big tank with plenty of other fish (then there is the risk of hybrids) or another few females to spread aggression a pair is probably not a good thing to have as the males are pretty hard on girls.

could you maybe take one do you know for sure its a female??? have you vented it? sorry but i have just brought a breeding colony of giraffes and they were ment to be 1 male 3 females which make me :x when i paid for the fish and the shipping and ya dont get what ya pay for!!!!!

Dont have one..Just of male...Phill