Tech questions with guppy focus

blueguppies

What is the biggest volume of water a large sponge filter can cope with, I have a 90 litre tank and I want to breed guppies in it?

Also if I have a 3 litre container can I put 5 tiny guppy fry in there with no filter or bubbles?

P1010181.jpg

will have water in it, But I guess it doesnt have to be full, I am just going to have one male and two female guppies in there at a time

Sponge/box filters work well, they are all I use in my fry/guppy tanks and I have never had any problems.. Guppies are pretty tidy fish and stay small so don't create much mess, also with a bare bottom tank you can just suck out any gunk that you see with your water changes so a sponge filter will be fine :)

I always add gravel.

It is more work doing gravel vac's but the gravel is another home for benifical bacteria so a small tank is less likely to have a spike if you over feed or if something goes wrong with the filter or water changes. JMO

I think it is an interesting one, in a smaller breeding tank with only a bubble filter is there going to be that much water flow and therefore good bacteria in the gravel? Or will he build up of waste or any uneaten food cause more issues than it would actually be worth... I wonder if that is one of the questions that anyone can actually answer? lol

I think it is an interesting one, in a smaller breeding tank with only a bubble filter is there going to be that much water flow and therefore good bacteria in the gravel? Or will he build up of waste or any uneaten food cause more issues than it would actually be worth... I wonder if that is one of the questions that anyone can actually answer? lol

All that i can tell you is that i have far more fry deaths in bare bottom tanks than i do in gravel bottom tanks

I used to breed, raise and sell 50000 tropical fish a year and always did it in bare bottom tanks. One of the problems with gravel in the bottom is sterilizing it between batches of fish. A bare tank is easy to clean and sterilize. It more importantly keeps the food on the bottom visible so you can see if you are overfeeding and the fry can see the food rather than have it hidden in the gravel rotting.

Welcome to the forum, blueguppies! :)

Box filters work well too. Leave the lid off so the fry don't get stuck.

Just thought I'd mention an experience I had with doing this and why I don't do it any more. :-? – I had a breeding pair of blue rams and one day came home and couldn't find the female anywhere. After poking around in the tank for quite some time I checked the last place I thought she would be: inside the box filter, which I'd taken the lid off so that the fry wouldn't get sucked in – there she was, stuck head-first in the box, between the filter wool and side of the box. Goodness knows how long she'd been there! :-? She looked all squashed looking and her fins were a mess – presumably because she'd been wriggling and wriggling to try and get out. I thought she was a goner, but I treated her with melafix and she survived (that was about 6 months ago and she's got another batch of fry now, lol) – but she's retained the slightly squashed look from her time in the filter! :)

Welcome to the forum, blueguppies! :)

Just thought I'd mention an experience I had with doing this and why I don't do it any more. :-? – I had a breeding pair of blue rams and one day came home and couldn't find the female anywhere. After poking around in the tank for quite some time I checked the last place I thought she would be: inside the box filter, which I'd taken the lid off so that the fry wouldn't get sucked in – there she was, stuck head-first in the box, between the filter wool and side of the box. Goodness knows how long she'd been there! :-? She looked all squashed looking and her fins were a mess – presumably because she'd been wriggling and wriggling to try and get out. I thought she was a goner, but I treated her with melafix and she survived (that was about 6 months ago and she's got another batch of fry now, lol) – but she's retained the slightly squashed look from her time in the filter! :)

lol im sure some fish are retarded lol,i have a red jewel like that,loves to get stuck