Some pics of my Indo Dats

Duncan7

Fed the Dats and they were feeling quite photogenic so i snapped a few impromptu pics

Now please excuse the grubby glass and the poor quality photos!

My biggest

IMG_3381.jpg

Smaller one showing his bars

IMG_3382.jpg

Two smaller ones together

IMG_3386.jpg

Trio plus ornate

IMG_3388.jpg

Trio again

IMG_3389.jpg

Once again with ornate

IMG_3390.jpg

Curious ornate on his own

IMG_3387.jpg

People talk of stable colours, with defined bars, now mine dont usually have this colouration and they have only really lived on their own with the two ornates for the last couple of years, so i assume they are not short of space or unhappy. The only time i really see the distinct bars is after a water change, tank remodel, or when they get a bit stroppy with eachother, Thus i think the stable bars is actually a sign of agression/teritorial challenge/Stay away from me etc? The dark brown (all over) colouration seems to be when they dont feel threatened or when they feel most comfortable. Just my 2c. Dunno what others have experienced. Would be interested to hear your thoughts? I may be completely wrong.

Enjoy!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha thats funny, my tiger's stripes go mottled/unstripey whenever he is acting aggressive, opposite to yours, but my other tiger remains stable the whole time, weird aye? Nice tigers btw :D, the pipes look too small for them to fit in :lol: :hail:

Yeah im not sure anymore about the colours, maybe they are always pissed at eachother?? Fighting for a bit of dominance... :)

The smaller dats can just fit in the pipes, get in there if the big ones being a bully, bichirs like them too.

Wow were like brothers :D:D:D:o :-? :lol: yep, wanting those american dats now, definitely getting at least one after exams, English and geo were @#$# today! I spent 5 hours in the auditorium = Not cool :evil: , need some fish to watch, heal my eyes, I'm seeing julius caesar everywhere... aaaarggghh! :lol:

Wanting to start a bichir pile effect with dels and couple of the smaller ones eg: senegals, I got the 2 albinos but still need a regular - where have these guys gone???

yeah, have 3 atm, I want to sell the biggest one and get two smaller ones and grow them with the other 2 in a separate tank, while continually adding bichirs - aiming for about 7-8 mayb's. in the larger tank I want to do a group of dats, 3 indo 2 AT, then after the coffers fill up a bit I will upgrade the tank size, chuck em all in and buy an asian aro or a jardini - hoping they get imported :D Thats the general plan, with a few extra 'interesting fish should i chance upon it' :roll: My interest in ornates has dwindled a bit while my interest in sengals and dels has been boosted, I prefer the look of the smaller ones, only plus to the ornates is the size of course :wink:. But first job is to get an AT :D

yeah, have 3 atm, I want to sell the biggest one and get two smaller ones and grow them with the other 2 in a separate tank, while continually adding bichirs - aiming for about 7-8 mayb's. in the larger tank I want to do a group of dats, 3 indo 2 AT, then after the coffers fill up a bit I will upgrade the tank size, chuck em all in and buy an asian aro or a jardini - hoping they get imported :D Thats the general plan, with a few extra 'interesting fish should i chance upon it' :roll: My interest in ornates has dwindled a bit while my interest in sengals and dels has been boosted, I prefer the look of the smaller ones, only plus to the ornates is the size of course :wink:. But first job is to get an AT :D

Do it! Very similar to what i hope to achieve :)

Angels... poo! (not my faves), buy snookies silver $s, that way he can buy my nandus :lol: - still interested snookie? I like the indo, he has the same pattern as one of mine on one side but lacks the merged stripe that mine has on the other side 8) Love the albinos eyes, whereas the normals have distinguished pupils etc the albinos have really weird reflective eyes :o ! - same with the dats, big eyes :o. Im hopefully picking up the AT in albany next week, wondering if he will stick up to my bigger dats, my bigger ones are probably 2-3 times his size, should be ok though right? How big is yours Morcs, growth rate?

your tank reminds me of DavidR's, but lacks the fish size.

Angels... poo! (not my faves), buy snookies silver $s, that way he can buy my nandus :lol: - still interested snookie? I like the indo, he has the same pattern as one of mine on one side but lacks the merged stripe that mine has on the other side 8) Love the albinos eyes, whereas the normals have distinguished pupils etc the albinos have really weird reflective eyes :o ! - same with the dats, big eyes :o. Im hopefully picking up the AT in albany next week, wondering if he will stick up to my bigger dats, my bigger ones are probably 2-3 times his size, should be ok though right? How big is yours Morcs, growth rate?

your tank reminds me of DavidR's, but lacks the fish size.

Growth has been slow although ive been feeding and WC a lot to help growth. Thats the thing with dats, even when ya power feed them, they dont grow quickly!

The AT has grown faster. Both are now just under 4'', but the indo is the boss. I wouldnt worry about aggression between dats. Its usually just a bit of chasing. Ive read many times about full grown adults being kept with babies and they dont get eaten :o

yeah, my oddball indo should be filed for harrassment - he chases the other one around the WHOLE time, I just wonder how he keeps the stable condition :o What do you think will happen if I add the AT? will he end up being chased the most or will he be ignored? bit of a hoper Q sorry :P

hae heard that their aggression isnt too bad when smaller, but have heard of instances that when they get bigger they seem to snap so to speak and try to kill everything...

But as always that will probably depend on the fish...

Have a chat to LA and see how he found/find them to keep and the possible tankmates for them.