November 5, 200916 yr comment_338585 I have a pair of paradise that I want to put outside but have been waiting for the weather to warm up. They're currently in a small unheated indoor tank and are breeding. They're OK at present - he pushes her around a bit but I gave her hiding places and she doesn't seem stressed - but they would be better off in the bigger tank. Their outside tank is ready for them but I'm worried that another cold snap may be too cold for them. How cold is safe for them? At present the outside tank is about 14 degrees each morning. But of course if we got another late frost it could get a lot colder than that. Does anyone know what their lower limit is please? Report
November 8, 200916 yr comment_339019 i have been doing research about paradise fish (im a new owner) and i have read that 16 is the lowest that they can stand and that is only for short periods, i wouldnt risk it but some people on here seem to think there are wild populations so my research might be wrong Report
November 10, 200916 yr Author comment_339574 Thanks for that. There does seem to be conflicting information 'out there' which is why I wanted to be a little bit cautious. A number of sources say 16deg and up, but others mention freezing conditions in their natural habitat, plus also the fact that there are differing natural habitats. I did take the risk on putting these two outside so that the babies can have the inside tank. So far so good. The temperature has been down to 13deg in the outside tank but they come for breakfast so are obviously fine at that level. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.