Betta imbellis and wild types?

SamH

• 3 months later...

Just saw this post now.I have bred them,but am down to just one male at the moment,although a shop in Galway has wild caughts at the moment,about NZ$10 each.They are a stunning little fish,and my male got 1st in category at last years show.Great characters,I prefer them to splendens.The fry are tiny.

Prob not much help to you over there though.

• 2 months later...

Not much here either,plenty in the UK,but hard to get them over.

My folks will be over for my wedding end of June,but I won't have fry by then,otherwise we could try the old 500ml or 1ltr coke bottle.My bro is flying direct through Brunei,so he could've taken them.

Not much here either,plenty in the UK,but hard to get them over.

My folks will be over for my wedding end of June,but I won't have fry by then,otherwise we could try the old 500ml or 1ltr coke bottle.My bro is flying direct through Brunei,so he could've taken them.

:lol: :lol: I'm not that desperate!

• 4 weeks later...

I could be crazy, but doesn't interbreeding very quickly make fish revert to wild type?

I refer to one of my own spawns that looks a lot like the picture, not quite as dramatic with the red in the fins, but already getting very close back to the wild type coloring, wouldn't you say?:

http://imgur.com/vaBFG.jpg

(Leaving a url, because the image thing is broken.)

I'm likely doing some PK crossing in the not too distant future. Perhaps some selective interbreeding (oxymoron much?) could bring them right back down to wild type?

Good thought :hail:

I'm by no means an expert, but the fish I have was produced by crossing a dark bodied, red finned crowntail with a purple / red female that carried the blue / green genes as well. There were no obvious short finned genes in that pool, but this little guy popped out anyway.

I know that when you breed animals like pigeons, wild type is usually only a few out-crossings away. It wouldn't surprise me if betta fish were similar, but I could be wildly wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I met Anton Lamboj on the weekend,and was delighted to get aprox 15 Betta edithae 'Kalimantan' and aprox 24 Betta falx,all are F1,off him.He is going to email me the gps data for where he collected the parents.

Anything other than splendens is not readily available here,amd when I got the albimarginata,they were 30euro each,so was well chuffed to get these latest aditions for 1 euro each!!

I do hope they would become available in NZ,they are real characters,and remind me of puffers,the way the move in their search for food.