Frozen Worm Food

breakaway

Hi Guys,

I was thinking about getting my fish some frozen worms. So far Ive been feeding them flakes and freeze dried mosquito larvae.

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what kind of frozen food to get? There are so many varities at the LFS.

Any help appreciated

Can't go wrong with blood worms and brine shrimp, fish love it. Sounds like you have more variety where you are, that's about it where i'm from.

Just as a side note: it's a good idea to thaw the food on a saucer before giving to the fish.

why thaw it before you feed it to them, they are going in to warm water are they not, plus it gives the fish a bit of fight for their food.

You may have a bit of trouble getting the bloodworms at the mo, I know I am, but there is tropical tucker which has bloodworms in it or frozen blood worms. The other alternitive is to start a live food culture e.g white worms, daphnia

B

You can put it in frozen but I prefer my fish not to eat semi-frozen/cold food.

With Summer coming buy a bucket and leave it outside, it will go stagnant and you'll have live mosquito larvae in it in no time. A nice compliment to daphnia and white worms :)

I don't think in a freshwater tank you need to worry much about the phosphates being added. When I feed my big guys bloodworms I defrost it in a glass of water and stir it up simply because if I don't then I end up with a couple fish swallowing a cube of bloodworms each and the rest not getting anything.

does defrosting them first help them float for longer?

my old pantadon buterfly loved blood worms and would eat them out of my hand my new one is young and not yet hand feeding he also doesn't get a chance to try the blood worms as they sink before he gets a chance to take a bite

You also add alot of phospahte to your water by adding it frozen, no idea why just what i read

I still add mine frozen though

You have phosphate in all foods.

The reason why you need to rinse your food is to get rid of the excess phosphates and other bits of bad stuff. It just means you are not putting as much crap into your tank...