Mudskippers & Fig8 Puffers

wayno3579

they are such a pain! i think they would be best suited to a species tank like a paladarium or something like that.

+1 to the species only tank, they would be very annoying together

the green spot puffer would get more aggresive towartds it as it got older/bigger also

pain to feed them. they like eating at their own leisure, and tend to likebeing fed bloodowrms that you have to perfectly position on the gravel at the surface of the water.

they also prefer live food, higher temps, slightly alakine (sp?) water of 7-8.5 and some can grow quite big (but most around 10cm) which probably won't be a problem for you

Assume your talking about the mudskippers. Yeah seems they are a little picky when it comes to feeding. I guess thats why most people that have shared their experiences on the web talk mainly about live food such as crickets, flying ants, etc for them.

I'm still willing to give a go.

Mudskippers don't need mud as such? it seems they're happy on wet rock?

Currently brainstorming ideas around layers of rock e.g. slate to create the "terra"

A slight digression, but was very impressed by this --

http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/Viv200 ... uction.htm

well if I can find even just one mudskipper I'll convert my brackish tank to an aqua-terra-viva-palada-RIUM and break new territory by successfully housing fig8's skippers and bbg's in the same world......

or not.....

:o

any idea's where I can get one from?

I've posted a WTB in trade n exchange

FYI this has come about, other than from discovering those youtube vids, because I'm unhappy with the recent changes I've made to my brackish tank (went bigger with different substrate and lighting) but am disappointed with the results. Time to uproot and try something different. Thats what is great about this hobby, the rule book is so customisable :P

• 1 month later...

i myself was interested some time ago in getting mud skipper's, trying to find one as you have found out yourself is dire situation, I found 1 pet shop of all of auckland, in which the guy went out of his way to find out from the supplier if he could get it, which he could at the cost of about $80 (seems abit expensive side, but given even HFS weren't interested at all in helping me, knew the chances of getting one myself outside of this guy would be impossible unless you play the waiting game, i didn't end up getting one due to loss of a fish tank to unexpecting fry pitching up).

Now this might be of no help and i really can't remember which shop it was, but here is the link i am 99% sure i used and phoned around.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=auckland+pet+stores&fb=1&gl=nz&hq=pet+stores&hnear=auckland&view=text&ei=ydISS-HKFYW4swP6qsnmAQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQtQMwAA

best of luck, let me know if you have any luck :D

• 2 weeks later...