Can someone please help me ID these

Lilbitfishey

Top one possible fryeri female.

Middle one possible mbuna hybrid.

Bottom one, needs a better pic, but looks alot like the Asti x blue dolphins that were (and probably still are) being passed around in Christchurch as astatotilapia calliptera.

As with everything where did they come from and what did you buy them as?

so couldn't be, FryeriX, Ahli or Ahli X, Azureus X or lithobates X.

you can make whatever assumtions you like, my opinion is that is what it is. If you want to be paranoid or negative about things, are there any pure fish in NZ at all & if you think this is or is not themn prove it either way. this is a topic that no one can really prove who is right or wrong & someone that wants to argue the point can for as long as they wish.

wasn't my opinion and indeed my perogative to question your assumption valid based on your point.

I'm sorry if that has offended. Not Playing Devil's advocate because someone may be offended is not healthy.

I can see that there is an argument for your ID based on the image but...

The point as you say is whether you want to steer someone in a direction of an ID based on a "not much doubt" premise.

I would have thought the more scientific and responsible conclusion would be not to ID a fish as something when it comes from an environment of hybrids.

Your perceived thoughts on negativity or paranoia are noted but seem erroneous.

wasn't my opinion and indeed my perogative to question your assumption valid based on your point.

I'm sorry if that has offended. Not Playing Devil's advocate because someone may be offended is not healthy.

I can see that there is an argument for your ID based on the image but...

The point as you say is whether you want to steer someone in a direction of an ID based on a "not much doubt" premise.

I would have thought the more scientific and responsible conclusion would be not to ID a fish as something when it comes from an environment of hybrids.

Your perceived thoughts on negativity or paranoia are noted but seem erroneous.

all good, i am not offended at all. discussion is healthy & this is only a forum on the net :)

these situations IME tend to be more based on each persons ideal of what is right or wrong rather than an even unbiased decision on the single situation. I look at each situation & make a decision on the facts of that case. In this case that fish looks to be indentical to they 5 females i have in my tank so i am reasonably confident of it being of good breeding. If it looked different then i wouldn't have commented the same way. Others wil say "Its in a mixed tank so therfore it is a hybrid", condemning them without the facts or even giving it any serious condsideration.

totally with u on this one!!! :D

you can make whatever assumtions you like, my opinion is that is what it is. If you want to be paranoid or negative about things, are there any pure fish in NZ at all & if you think this is or is not themn prove it either way. this is a topic that no one can really prove who is right or wrong & someone that wants to argue the point can for as long as they wish.

sorry little bit fishy my reference to astatotilapia moorii was about some hybrids i have

can you get clearer pics of the fish

we can tell you what species the fish look like but can't guarantee that that is definitely what they are as so many rift lakes fish can interbreed quite freely

well thats a electric blue fryeri female we have a breeding group spawning at the mo :D:D

You mean it LOOKS like an electric blue fryeri female there is absolutely no way of telling if it is or not without DNA testing, it could well be a throw back from a cross or some entirely different species we don't seen very often that is what everyone is trying to say on this thread..

well yeah it LOOKS like a female electric blue fryeri :oops:

You mean it LOOKS like an electric blue fryeri female there is absolutely no way of telling if it is or not without DNA testing, it could well be a throw back from a cross or some entirely different species we don't seen very often that is what everyone is trying to say on this thread..