cat door installation

HelenMac

Our back door has a hole in the glass for a cat door but has a security screen door on outside of it. Front door is wooden door but again security screen door on outside of it.. So wondering if you can have a cat door put in the security screen door. If so who would I get to put it in.

Without cutting a hole in the security screen in either door, the cat door would become useless when the screen door was closed.

I have known several people who have had very successful cat doors put into a window with a windowsill the cat could reach (one even built a ramp for the cat to climb to the windowsill!).

Any glazier can cut a hole for a cat door. Many "handymen" claim to be able to do so as well, though make sure you trust their abilities before they start cutting your glass ;)

I think putting a cat door in the security screen would be easy to do, ask a company that installs or makes the screens.

The problem may be if there is not enough gap between the two doors for the flap to operate correctly, unless your cats are able to pull the door open from the outside like some do when the door is set to swing one way in an effort to keep unwelcome 'visitors' from getting inside, it may not work.

Is there already a cat door in the glass, you may have a real training effort ahead if the cat has to negotiate two doors!

I am not casting aspersions on the ability of your cat, but the offspring of one of our cats would struggle to negotiate one cat door, let alone two!

why would you have a cat door in the security screen? When not just a hole, then fit the cat door to the house door?

I also saw a cat door fitted into the side of a (wooden) house once. It opened onto the hallway from the back deck. Cat doors in doors and windows might be the easy place to install, but can prove to be a security risk.

why would you have a cat door in the security screen? When not just a hole, then fit the cat door to the house door?

I was thinking this too. If the security screen is for keeping insects out, then maybe attach a flap of fabric or thick plastic over the hole, so the cat can easily push through it.

I would think cutting a hole in a security door may well affect the structural strength of making it useless as a security door. I'd either check with the installer/manufacture (surely it must come up all the time) or just remove the door.

I like the 'through the wall' option as well. I have man hole in a cupboard that allows access to under my house, I used to use this for the cats, the only problem was its in my bed room and got a bit drafty in the winter.