WOULD THESE WORK IN AN AQUARIUM?

Zayne

from the wedsite

Clay Hydroton is a common medium used in hydroponic systems. It holds water extremely well and transmits it effectively. The pellets are uniform in size (4-8mm) and have an attractive, natural appearance. Hydroton is chemically inert, has a neutral pH, is reusable, clean and odourless.

from that i take it that doesn't dissolve as it is reusable

after reading the court files in the local paper

i think there are a lot of switched on gardeners in tauranga :D

Schweet :P

I think theres one somewhere by the animates :S??

EDIT: I was right :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

from the wedsite

from that i take it that doesn't dissolve as it is reusable

It was an example :roll: it could also leach ammonia, nitirites, ect :P

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post, but has anyone tried these??? Did anyone get to a testing phase???

I looked into it recently, from what i have read hydroton is 100% natural heated clay,this makes the clay expand and become porous, the clay is tested often for quality assurance. Dust free, doesnt break down, and no discharge. Holds oxygen and not much water, can be used repeatedly (lasts a long time) if properly cleaned and sterilized. pH stabilized. however i did read in second quote it doesn't hold nutrients??????

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/hydroton-clay-grow-rocks-10-liter-p-422.html

* pH stabilized, non-toxic expanded clay

* Reusable if properly sterilized

* Superior oxygen holding capacity

* Low water holding capacity

* Blend with CocoTek for a superior hydroponic medium

* Stimulates root development

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conservatory/Other/auction-272936192.htm

Hydroton is a common medium used in hydroponic systems. It holds water extremely well and transmits it effectively. The pellets are uniform in size.small 4 - 8mm 4.5kg pack.

Great for orchids, house plants, hydro-culture etc.

Clay balls (expanded clay) which have properties of high water storage and balanced capillary action which accelerate plant growth.

Manufactured in Germany from a renewable and plentiful source (clay), it is considered an ecologically sustainable medium. The clay is formed into pellets and then fired in rotary kilns at 1200C. This causes the clay to expand inside, like popcorn and it becomes porous.

Expanded Clay pellets are lightweight, do not compact and are completely reusable - they can be cleaned and sterilized after use. They are also inert, pH neutral and contain no nutrients. Because the pellets drain freely and don't hold excessive water, they provide good oxygen levels around the root zone.

Beware of cheaper, lower quality clay balls. Other brands are available (usually from China), but consider the following points before deciding.

* Expanded Clay is fully imported from Germany

* Expanded Clay is tested by the University of Hokenheim every two months as part of the quality control program

* Expanded Clay is dust free.

* Expanded Clay pellets are of a consistent size and shape

Clay Balls are excellent growth medium, holding water and nutrient for 5-6 days and releasing them at a controlled rate

These superior Expanded clay balls, made specifically for the hydroponic growing industry are now available from They are pH neutral so no hassle bringing pH down with new balls. Their regular shapes give increased surface area to mass ratio, thus absorbing and releasing liquids more efficiently. The regular shapes also allow for more air to pass around the roots. Clay Balls can be re-used 4-5 times as long as they are well cleaned in between usage.

Maybe not so nutrient based as other aquatic plant nutrient products, but a natural looking substrate??

Maybe it can be used with JBL balls.

If anyone has tested please comment. If it was a success it would be good to know because its soooo cheap.

:D

Bought some of the hydroton clay today, went to wash it as you do with all substrates, found that 90% of the fired clay floats on top or mid water. The other 10% once sifted out i guess could be used for a gravel, the smallest size you can buy aint that small, bout the size of a fingernail on your smallest finger. Its not really that attractive, if they made smaller pellets then maybe yes.

Still not a good idea to use this as the oxygen retained in most of the pellets makes it very light, if you were to put a layer of fine gravel on top, the clay would most likely sift out and float, making the fine gravel sink underneath it.

HTH anyone who was willing to give it a shot like myself