"Advice" - Relocating a 1200mm tank 20-30km

simfish

Hi its been 3 years since I have been back on the forum. Been in Australia and did not have a tank until now since I moved back to the best place on Earth. I just bought off trade me a 1.2 meter Tank.

I am moving it from Waitakere to Botany this weekend. It has a cabinet, a pump, filtre and light system in the roof. This is what the tank comes with gravel, java moss plants, drift wood and the following fish: 6 large angels ,4 large clown loaches, 1 ghost knife ,and 1 golden nugget plus some cardinals and one blue ram. I want to use Daltons Propogating sand as the substrate not sure if I can get this at Palmers only or any where else. I don't have a spare tank. Most probably I can only transport very little water with the fish, plants and filter wool, te rest of the water I will have to get rid off.

Does anyone have any advice how I can setup this up with a make shift system as fast as possible so as not to put the fish under stress? Can anyone please inform me where I can purchase plant fertilizer from in bulk. I used to buy it from Singapore from http://www.nature-aquarium.com. However they don't seem to exist anymore. I was wanting to put in an under gravel heater as well but not sure where I can purchase this. I went down to animates in Botany and on the shelf did not find some stuff. Therefore was a little concerned. I am trying to create a Takashi Amano setup again. I am also looking for Ricci, Christmas Moss and Glosso.

The most important thing is how can I literally off a hose and warm hot cylinder water get the water right to get the tank sorted. There are other questions I have on initial fast verses proper setup but will wait for feedback before I put anymore questions up.

Thanks so much in advance for feedback.

if its a system currently running then just use the existing filter media, pretend moving it is just a big water change & you'll be sweey.

If its not currently running get someones dirty filter media & you'll be good to go once the water has warmed. The time it takes to do that the filter would have cycled the water a few times & should be sweet. I have done this every time i have set up a new tank, used an existing filter on a new tank & no problems have arisen. :)

+1 Smidey re: the old media.

As to the process, if it were me I would siphon off the clean water into chilly bins, capture the fish, turn off the pump, remove the gravel and anything else from the tank then move everything to the new location. Then set the tank up, add the gravel back, add the fish back, turn on the pump and then top up with water from the tap (use a hose and connector so you get warm water if you like). It should just be like a large water change and the fish should be just fine with very little stress if the process is quick.

HTH

Can't wait to see the Takashi tank when it is up! :D