Non Aquatic Plants,

wellmax

I have not seen peace lillies last for more than a few months submersed. Try the search function and you should find many stories asking why their plant is not looking very healthy.

There are many plants that will grow well with just their roots submersed but not so many where the leaves are also submersed.

I suspect part of the problem is lack of light penetration when submersed so may do better with strong light. I have never tried to grow them submersed but usually plants have an emersed and submersed form and I have not seen any different form to the leaves when submersed which would lead me to believe submersion is not realy its thing.

I think Spathiphyllum wallisi = Borneo sword in the aquatic trade. Peace lily is a term that I think is more general and also applies to a number of Spathiphyllum cultivars. I suspect some do better than others underwater. I've had some last a while, some rot off quickly, and some die back and then grow. From memory I think that those planted in the tank did best if they were planted with the crown a bit above the substrate. Basically I gave up on them because they don't grow vigorously enough to be much use to the water. Although I think one tank still has a small one. I think if you can get a proper species plant - ie S. wallisi - it will probably do better. In the wild, they come from areas that flood irregularly so the plant has evolved to withstand flooding, but doesn't have to be under water for too long at a stretch. If you like them in the tank, you could always just keep two in a pot and swap them over from time to time to give them a rest out of the water.