inungas? (adult whitebait)

beckyboo

dont know if i spelt it right but its the only name i know them by. just wanting to know how long they live in captivity? caught them when i was 8 years old and stuck them in the fish pond with the goldfish and theyre still going strong!! thats 12 years! theres only 3 of them but i was wondering how they would go being put back in the creek where i found them and letting them do there thing and breed. or would it be a bad idea incase of disease etc?

ta muchly

Hello Becky,

I doubt inanga would live that long. They usually only live a year in the wild (dying after spawning). In captivity they cannot spawn so can live longer. I had one die of old age at 3, but saw another aged 5 years!

It is possibly a different sort of galaxiid. There are five species that make up the whitebait run, and in your are a there is probably a good chance of them being the banded or maybe giant kokopu.

Bandeds get to about 25cm and have vertical stripes down the sides. Giants can get to 30-40cm and are spotted. Both have a quite dark body with paler or yellow markings.

If you can get me some photos I can give you an ID. If you can catch one in a net and get a side-on photo that would be great. I would also love to see some photos of the pond! (note:I have a slight obsession with native fish)

As for putting them back: technically illegal without a permit, as supasi says: disease issues. Also, these fish have been out of that sort of environment for almost their entire lives and it may be hard for them to readjust.

will try and get a pic tommorrow. they are around 10cm long and are very hard to catch lol will attempt it though. pond isnt very flash just a smallish pond with a couple of lillies (that dont grow very well) and some goldfish. i have a book on native fish so will check that out and see what looks similar.