2x electric yellows

1x male peacock

3x lumpheads

3x young ice blues

2x giraffe cichlids

i have lost several fish lately they were

2x female peacocks

1x electric yellow

i looked at my tank this morning and there is a severally beaten up female yellow

who is the culprit?

Tank size would be a biggie here..

Ice blues are probably the most agro fish you have in your list but you do mention they are young, are the males coloured up at all?

I am not surprised the peacock females got it first alot of people in the know do not recommend mixing peacocks with haps/mbuna as they are too aggressive for them and kill them..

Also are you positive the fish were killed by the other fish and not just sick and were picked on or eaten as they died?

it is a 80 liter tank the fish are young as in not fully grown the biggest fish would be the male snow white, peacock, and the male lumphead ,there is caves and pots every where .the giraffes are small 5/6cm probably and one of them is looking a bit munched as well.

thanks

with this type of fish the best way to determine the culprit is to line them up

once lined up look along the row, walk up and down twice,

turn and face them and say

"you are all under arrest for homicide" :D

sitting and warching your tank for a long period will give you some idea of the agressor

trouble with removing the main agressor is another usually steps up to fill the space

The tank is too small for those fish if the smaller ones are 5/6cm..

I would say there is no one main culprit probably a combination of all the fish picking on the smallest/least dominant ones the female peacocks would be the first to harassed as they are quite submissive the male peacock would give them a bit of a hard time by himself then all the others join in the poor fish get harassed to death...

Just for a guideline I do 1m and 3+ female peacocks in an 80L tank and some of the females still get a hard time that is just with one male in the tank.

From my experience, snow whites are quite aggressive towards other fish and because yours is one of the biggest, im gonna guess it would be him.

Ive recently added snow whites to one of my tanks and all fish are 2x - 3x bigger than them. And the snow whites are constantly harassing the other bigger fish.

Generally all mbuna have it in them to be agro, ice blues are particularly nasty, I have seen an ice blue male take over half a 6ft tank to himself before so I would watch them as they mature the 180L tank may not be big for them..

Also giraffes can and will get to 15-20cm long, are your lumpheads blue dolphins? As they get pretty big too..

What type of peacocks are you looking for?

i don't like ice blues terribly much so i am going to get rid of them. the lumpheads

are normal lumpheads not blue dolphins .i might need some new peacocks as i dont know what type they were and i only have a male now.

thanks

Yeah if you want to breed from them then it is best to start again and get some known good ones from a good source then at least they are worth breeding..

I would probably wait until you get the bigger tank and then you can use the 80L for a breeding/raising tank and it gives you the ability to buy younger fish cheaper from breeders to grow out for your big tank.

What is a snow white?

Problem with mbunas is it could be any of them, or a couple. With peacocks, as with above comments, they can be hit & miss with mbunas. You could try peacocks again, but wait to you get a bigger tank, allow for a good open area in the tank & try & get the peacocks at a bigger size.

Frenchy :D

Yep bit of a miss match with species I think.

I would rule the Humphead/Lionhead [steatocranus casuarius] out they are quite happy to get along with other species, infact I have them with my Electric Yellows no probs at all.

I would suggest the mbuna are the main contenders as trouble, they really can be nasty characters when they wish to be.

As was suggested if you are going to get more Peacocks, try to get some at a reasonable size.

Two reasons for this:

1. Peacocks can be very slow growers

2. they will be less likely to be harrassed

Cheers :bounce:

I would rule the Humphead/Lionhead [steatocranus casuarius] out they are quite happy to get along with other species, infact I have them with my Electric Yellows no probs at all.

i would ahve to disagree, last week my lump head bashed my much larger & dominant red zebra. i saw it so i am sure, they are very teritorial IME. :)

I have juvies of yellows, plus a number of hap species and a few peacock species.

Live in Bombay hills.

As ryan suggested getting juvies and growing out into a big tank is great if you can be patient for the results.

lumpheads will be very territorial with their hidey holes particularly if adversary is something like peacock or something that wants to hang out around the rockwork.

A friend had a 200ltr tank with yellows, dolphins, lumpheads, a few dems and a few random mbuna and it was disaster area. a tank full of fin nipped fish continually bashing each other.

About 3 mths ago, he sold off those fish and put in 4-5cm juvies( all males) of jacobfriebegi(x2) red rubins(x2) chilumba red flush(x2), copadichromis azureus(x2) and electra(x1). Also put in 8x 2cm Dems.

The results are great with most of these fish colouring up really well and while they are still young there potential to coexist well when older is enhanced I believe by the tank set up as juvies and then leaving them alone and not messing with tank dynamic. There will always be some aggression levels in such a tank, but it shouldn't be hell on earth for some little bugger hiding behind a filter intake.

back to your original question.

I'd say it is a combination of things that would lead to peacocks dying.

They would want to find a nice quite place around the rocks but continually chased off by mbuna/lumpheads.

Then the bigger haps were probably scaring them off any open water you might have in An 80ltr tank and to a corner. I would say your male peacock was too busy staying uncoloured and try to stay incognito to be responsible for the girls death, unless they were trying to get into to his corner of the tank to hide also.