Zev's big Day

Nymox

So after much thought and consideration, I decided to let my fighters have a go at spawning. After Zev built a bubble nest last night I removed the bit of news paper blocking their veiw of each other. He flared and carried on but she stuck there watching him and within a few minutes her verticle bands started showing really nicely. So, I put her in a fish transport bag and sat her in there with him. Her bands got darker still and he was swimming around her frantically displaying, then nipping off to work on the nest some more, then back to showing off. Ive released her now and shes swimming around with her fins held back and her head held down, shes had a look at the nest a few times but he chased her away. So Ill be here watching them closely all day, its really just up to him now any sign that they might end up hurting each other Ill remove her. Shes a tough lil fish but I dont wanna risk loosing either one. Everything seems to be going by the betta book of lovin though, Ive been readin some times it can take up to 10 hours for them to finally try and then they need to figure out the embrace, both their first times.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's strong :hail:

The little girl between the two males in the divided tank is getting so much attention. But her and the red guy were "flirting" heaps, swimming frantically up and down the glass flaring at each other and she has some slight vertical bars. But when I moved her into his partion, he just attacked her :-? He has blown an okay bubble nest but the male on the other side has a better one.

Decided to pull her out, she was so receptive but he changed to the Zevinator, his frantic movements even broke his nest. Lucky shes alot faster both fish unharmed, perhaps some pride a lil damaged but nothing else. Im going to try again in a few days, lower the water level and a few other things..

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so im trying again today, Zev has been in another tank for a week now, hes in about 25 ltrs of water at about 5 inches in depth. I made sure there was lots of nooks and hiding places, and floating plants. Water flow is down to just about nothing and the temp is just shy of 27 C.

He seems much more focused in there, constantly maintaining and building his nests even when he can see the female, rather then frantically swim back and forth flaring at her he poses, fins fully flared out and pumps bubbles from his gills.

Im just waiting on the lps to open for a breeding trap, I was going to use a bottle but I couldnt drill the holes without them ending up sharp on the inside, I could spend a while deburring it but Ill just get a trap :P Also waiting on Mum and her camera, Ill photograph and film what i can without disturbing them.

Shes been in the tank with him for about 5 hours now, hes not been back to the nest much and is very occupied with her. Shes once again showing very receptive colours, and swimming head down. Hes not attacking her alot, but has some very frenzied bursts at her. He mostly swims in a clumsey looking 'S' pattern (see pic below). Shes in a plastic bottle with holes all around for water flow.

Im just wanting to know, how long can this go on for? Will it stress them out to a point they are hurting themselves? Should I let her go even though the nest isnt complete yet, Ive read that some males dont make the nest till the female is released?. She seems happy in the bottle , I have a oly cup in there with her so she has something to get out of his sight.

Some websites say it could take 1 - 3 days like this, seems like it might over stress the male?

Any tips or criticism very much appriciated.

IMG_0574.jpg

Zev doing the 'S' dance

The nest doesnt have to be complete some fighters will have no nest at all and still manage to raise a good amount, and the 1-3 days is after you have let her out (i think) If I wre you I would let her out ion the morning and keep an eye on them and make sure they arent taking chunks out of each other (although some damage is alright huge amounts isnt) then leave her in there for a few days...

This morning was a bit different, he started a new nest on the other side of her bottle. Hes been at it for nearly 7 hours and only stops to have a quick pose and wiggly swim at the female. Took this video earler, the nest already covers the underside of the cup completely.

th_MVI_0575.jpg

Shes out, all looks to be going well in my understanding. Heres a short clip.

th_MVI_0622.jpg

Is everything looking alright?

I want to have a shower soon and go get some subway, have I got much time on my hands or need to be here always watching from a distance?

Hmm no violence other then a little bit of chasing every now and then. She destroyed the nest but hes quickly rebuilding in another spot....

What im worried about however is shes still dropping eggs ever so slightly and eating them does this mean anything??

perhaps she doesnt like him or his nest?

He managed to save a few eggs, not sure if he ate them or not but he went strait to the nest with them so im thinking he save them.

As long as they not trying to kill each other should I leave them? or is it all over with her dropping eggs?

This is my understanding; (anyone more knowledgeable please correct me)When a female fighter starts dropping eggs it is because she has been producing them to be ready to breed, but then has been waiting for to long and needs to get rid of them. Otherwise she can become egg bound and die. You may have to recondition her before reattempting to spawn them. -As you probably know if there is no embrace, then the eggs won't be fertile. Hope this helps.

From my understanding you are partly right

As you probably know if there is no embrace, then the eggs won't be fertile. Hope this helps.

The male can pick the eggs up and fertilise them as long as she or she does not eat them. The male fertilises the eggs after they are dropped so the embrace has nothing to do with fertility.

This is my understanding; (anyone more knowledgeable please correct me)When a female fighter starts dropping eggs it is because she has been producing them to be ready to breed, but then has been waiting for to long and needs to get rid of them. Otherwise she can become egg bound and die

This is 100% correct

shes been holding for a long time now, about 3 weeks id say perhaps more. I should really let her drop them and recondition her then. Its been a great learning curve so far, and Zev is a real sweetheart compared to what ive heard some males can be like.

Would it be ok to condition her in a breeding trap in the same tank? or get a devider? I dont really want to put her in another tank just now as the bol rams are spawning right now and I have albino cory fry in the other.

If i have to get another tank tomorrow I will.

probably best to take the gravel out of the tank next time as well, as he wont be able to pick up the eggs once they fall beneath the top layer.

a bare bottom tank is best although our fighters also did well with a substrate of sand.

HTH :D

The reason I decided to go with the ugf is because of the water flow, hob and sub filters all produced way to much water flow, poor lil Zev had to work hard just to stay still let alone build a nest. I have a small section of glass under where he built the nest, I hoped that the eggs would rest well on there but unfortunetly I didnt get a chance to find out.

I might go get another breeding tank tomorrow then, if anyone would be kind enough to recommend a tank size and filter model.

I have the female with my corys at the moment, she strait away lost her verticle banding, but hasnt dropped any more eggs. How can encourage her to drop those eggs? She has taken no damage so it would be good to get her to drop the eggs, and start reconditioning her.

I guess not feeding her for a few days? I feel mean even thinking about it :( my poor sweety she loves food.

I guess if I have to go as big as 2ft then Ill be better off getting my 240 ltr ready asap, then that gives me 3 smaller tanks just for fighters and 1 even smaller tank to spawn and raise fry in.

So whats a good internal or hob filter that has a low flow rate?