corydoras

jude

Look at me. I'm being brave enough to move away from the beginner's corner .............. :)

I've just found out that cory's like to school. My two albino corys are being given a hard time by the loaches. Should I put them in the tank with the bronze cory's? Will albinos and bronzes school together?

I also think I have peppered cory's in the 3rd tank. Would they school with the others?

Cheers

Jude

I was under the impression that the albino cory is usually the albino form of the bronze cory so I would imagine they'd be fine. Admittedly I've never tried it myself.

Have the loaches just started hassling the corys or has it been an on-going thing ? My skunk loach has this bad habit of chasing every cave-loving fish that gets added to the tank for the first 24 hours. After that some sort of agreement is reached and everything is fine. Well, it still hassles the kribensis, but that particular kribensis is evil and deserves everything it gets.

It ongoing and seems to be getting worse. Both loaches do it and one seems to be worse than the other. Whenever it catches one of the corys grazing on the bottom it goes for it. It doesn't seem to hurt ithem but I suspect the corys might not be getting enough food.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another cory question. Are albino cory's blind? One of my friends says they must be because all albinos are blind but I wonder if that also applies to fish.

Cheers

Jude (who is now imagining everyone rushing out to test their cory's eyesight .... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

hi Jude

I dont think my albino's are blind!

I have a selection of cory's in my tank, albino, peppered, panda and jullii and find that they do seem to stick to their own kind. I dont have 6 of any of them though and they seem happy. think minimum two of each would be ok, although the jullii's dont seem to hang together at all.

What kind of loaches have you got Jude? Seems some are pretty aggresive, like the tiger loach, but others aren't. would be interested to know.

Golden (leucistic) varieties are the same but lacking skin pigment, often they will have ghost markings of the original variety. Albinos usually have red eyes (no pigment so you see the blood vessels from the inside of the eye (iris)) and at least in the human form they often have eye problems due to this.

Edit: "Albinism: Humans, animals, and even plants can have this condition.

Most kids with albinism have problems with their eyes and have trouble seeing. For eyes to work properly, it's really important for them to have enough pigment.

The iris (the colored part of your eye) helps control the amount of light coming into your eye and hitting your retina, which is located at the back of your eyeball. When a person has albinism, the iris doesn't have enough color and can't shield the retina from light. So, people with albinism often have to wear glasses or contacts to help them see better. Outside, they usually need sunglasses or tinted contact lenses.

In addition to vision problems, with some kinds of albinism, a person might have trouble with his or her lungs, blood, kidneys, or other parts of the body."

extracted from http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_proble ... inism.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino state that "a variety of problems with photosensitivity in eyesight and skin usually result from the condition" and many features of albinism probably apply to animals also (2004).

Another cory question. Are albino cory's blind? One of my friends says they must be because all albinos are blind but I wonder if that also applies to fish.

This is a bit off subject but I know at least two albino people who can see very well!

Most kids with albinism have problems with their eyes and have trouble seeing. For eyes to work properly, it's really important for them to have enough pigment.

The iris (the colored part of your eye) helps control the amount of light coming into your eye and hitting your retina, which is located at the back of your eyeball. When a person has albinism, the iris doesn't have enough color and can't shield the retina from light. So, people with albinism often have to wear glasses or contacts to help them see better. Outside, they usually need sunglasses or tinted contact lenses.

extracted from http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_proble ... inism.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino state that "a variety of problems with photosensitivity in eyesight and skin usually result from the condition" and many features of albinism probably apply to animals also (2004).

Not all cases of albinism are the same.

Hi Plecs

I don't really know what loaches I have, the petshop didn't know so I spent some time on the net trying to id them.

They are definitely both botia and I am positive one is a yoyo (pakistani) loach because the Y's and O's are very clear. I think we decided the other must be a golden zebra (or a name fairly similar) but its a while ago now so the memory has faded ..................... LOL

Whatever they are, they are both very attractive fish. I've just moved them into the new 'big' tank and already the Yoyo is having a go at the other fish - so I might not be able to keep him :( He attacks the golden barbs, the pearl, golden and dwarf gouramis. So far all he has left alone are the bristlenoses ........... sigh!

Cheers

Judy