Fishroom construction

Peter McLeod

plz entlighten me on this? although it is not a room it is my garage, I intend on having about 20 tanks out there and for guppys and killies, but heating will be very expensive, i have already noticed that the electrity bill has gone up over an extar $80 with the 7 tank i have, so i am assuming 20 will be much more expensive, i have seen heating pads on the underside of tanks though??

Cheers Shae

Contact your local building supplier.Ask for a phone number of the people they contract to install their pink batts.They will often have offcuts etc

you can use.Also ask about dammaged Gib board.No good for housing but for a fishroom there is nothing wrong with just plastering any holes up.You can usually pick up the sheets for next to nothing or free.You can also ask about polystyrene packing sheets if you want even better insulation.They are usually 20-25mm thick 1200x2400 in size.I lined my whole guarage insulation and painted for under $100.I use 2 oil radiators.Power bill is about $25 a month during the winter and next to nothing in the warmer months.

You must check with your local council to see what you are allowed to do.All of the different councils seem to have different idea's on what you are allowed to do.

Contact your local building supplier.Ask for a phone number of the people they contract to install their pink batts.They will often have offcuts etc

you can use.Also ask about dammaged Gib board.No good for housing but for a fishroom there is nothing wrong with just plastering any holes up.You can usually pick up the sheets for next to nothing or free.You can also ask about polystyrene packing sheets if you want even better insulation.They are usually 20-25mm thick 1200x2400 in size.I lined my whole guarage insulation and painted for under $100.I use 2 oil radiators.Power bill is about $25 a month during the winter and next to nothing in the warmer months.

You must check with your local council to see what you are allowed to do.All of the different councils seem to have different idea's on what you are allowed to do.

i have tones of pink batts, gib and high density polystirene packing sheets! how are you able to get the right tempertaure, with the oil heaters? on mine its just got 1,2,3,4,5 settings! and $25 would be much cheaper than the $70 a month im paying at the momment! i have checked with the coucil, and everything sems ot be in order, my father is paying for some sort of permet! any other ideas? tha space i have is limited in the garage? the room would be small? i think i would be able to get 20-30 tanks in it if they were stacked 3 high right round the room!

nothing has been biult yet still am discussing with my parents wether it is worth it or not?

Cheers

Shae 250

Shae, build a room in the garage, there is no need for a permit to do that.

Don't be scared of over-insulating, I don't think there is such a thing.

But you sure as anything under-insulate. On the floor use polystyrene sheets covered with ply.

Cut out any drafts, and keep your lighting to a minimum, unless you have planted tanks.

Heating is done with thermostacially controlled electric fan heater, with any tank that needs more temperature to have a heater-stat in it.

Plan, plan, plan, before you do anything, and allow room for bending down to work on bottom tanks. Also allow ample room for netting fish, and lights (if they are used) above the tanks.

Been there, done that.

Alan 104

believe me alan i will deffinatly not be jumping into this like i jumped into this hobby! that sort of thing spells disater! i have thougth about all the things you have said, exept i was wondering about how the heating works! cheers thank for that. i have started designing the room with my dad useing some architecture software. this is a long way off yet, but i am hoping all will go well!

Shae 250

how much to build a fish room a little bigger than yours?? i know it would cost lots but dad doesn't like paying for power, so i would be good in the long run. i would need a big loan. could you give me an estimate including central filtration and insulation and frame of building?? basically everything excluding all accessories apart from the central filtration.