New planted Nano Project

Morcs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argentinensis can grow to about 600mm and should with the lighting you have. I have not grown them as they are a bit big for me but it looks like yours has been grown emersed and may take a wee while to convert to submersed growth.

hmmm emersed would work though...this tank is only 250mm tall!

Evil laugh *muwhahahahah*

My cute 25W heater wasnt cutting it. At full power it cant get the temp over 22C.

Due to the extra length of the 55W I had to have a good think of where and how to put it, so I pulled EVERYTHING out of the tank except the sand.

The result of my rescape is if I may say so, very very impressive.

Its got more rockwork just for Sam. Ive gone with a centre point too, which I know is against the rules, but it looks good. I trimmed the hairgrass right down etc..

So im off out to get an Oto (I need one :lol: ) and some plants to fill the right side as its bare :o

The swords are going too, not gonna suit this tank at all.

Ohh cant wait for it to start growing, and you guys arent going to see any pics for a week.

Cue evil laugh again *muwhahaha*

Arrrgh you guys :lol:

Sinces it easier to just post them here than to pm TWO people, ill post them here. Water still cloudy...

So, we have:

> Shorter hairgrass right along the front, with dwarf sag in an equal row behind, all flanked by rock.

> Wysteria, Indian fern and watersprite on the left with some red macaranda in the midst to break up the gree.

> In the middle we have a big rock, right in front of the filter intake, flanked by vals swaying in the filters current. A bit of indian fern and wysteria to the right too.

> Heater in the back right corner is surrounded by ambulia that will hide it nicely and some crypts either side.

Then some random pics of my tigers hanging out together in the 4ft. Lol.

fishystuff003.jpg

fishystuff004.jpg

fishystuff005.jpg

fishystuff006.jpg

fishystuff007.jpg

fishystuff008.jpg

fishystuff001.jpg

fishystuff002.jpg

that does look nice. :D

it's orchestrated.. yet harmonic :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :lol:

erm. WHERE did you get the macandra from?

Ooo! That's gunna look mighty fine when it grows in. Whatcha gunna stock it with? :wink:

Yes im pretty happy with it :) Might step up on the ferts. Ive cut my photoperid down to 8 hours to help with the algae.

The macaranda (im pretty sure it is) came from HFF albany, the new growth is coming through green though :(

At the moment its stocked with an Apistogramma Eunotis, 6 keyhole cichlids, 2 Angels and an oto. Once the cichlids have grown out ill either move them or sell them, and get the most expensive prettiest betta I can find. Lol.

I was going to suggest going rimless and suspending the lights but with a Betta planned, maybe not.

Its almost rimless 8) it only has about 15mm of bracing just on the ends, and i have the water level at absolute max (just have to be careful when moving in and out of the desk as water spills... did it twice today..)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone think it would be okay to hang an aquaclear 110 off the back of this tank?

Im just wondering as its small but wide and minimal bracing, wether having a honking great big 1800lph hang on filter would literally pull the back panel of glass off?

My ideal small community freshwater: 2-3 sparkling gouramis, 2-3 scarlet badis badis, some otos, small group of emerald eyes, kuhli loaches.

Plant wise: indian fern (large clump at back corner), variety of crypts - thats all

Use inconspicuous small rocks and driftwood for a focal point.

Can get all the fish at Hollywood albany, but the badis badis I have only seen once - looked real good at only 1cm :o

just my opinion

My ideal small community freshwater: 2-3 sparkling gouramis, 2-3 scarlet badis badis, some otos, small group of emerald eyes, kuhli loaches.

Plant wise: indian fern (large clump at back corner), variety of crypts - thats all

Use inconspicuous small rocks and driftwood for a focal point.

Can get all the fish at Hollywood albany, but the badis badis I have only seen once - looked real good at only 1cm :o

just my opinion

Cheers, yes indian fern is nice, ive got a large clump of it..

I changed my layout again as I split the hairgrass even more and spread it out - from one hairgrass plant I now have approx 50 :D

• 11 months later...

Hiya,

Interesting thread.. Morcs it would be great to hear how your tank is going and if you got on top of that brown algae issue?

I have just recently started with Aquabasis and a few cm of shiny black sand. (2-3mm chips) I'm experiencing the same clouding described on this thread and it doesn't seem to want to settle. Have yet to start with water changes, but I've yet to plant it out so I'll do that first.

Has anyone tried using activated carbon in their filter to help deal with the clay clouding? (pre-soaked to help leach phosphates) I'm thinking water changes to get rid of it might take forever in my 215L tank.

Cheers,

Brendan

Hi and welcome. :D

'Morcs' probably doesn't have this tank any more. :lol:

The Brown algae phase - is just that; and is called new tank syndrome because it usually occurs during the period of elevated nitrate levels when establishing a new tank.

It does go away in time, but more plants, light, CO2 and nutrients will combat it quite effectively.

No FW tank should cloud at all, let alone selectively during the day. You can try carbon, but don't use it at all if you are combating brown algae.