Dog-proof Tennis Balls?

Southerrrngirrl

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but I came across it when searching about toxicity from tennis balls in an aquarium (don't ask - someone contacted me saying her child put a bunch of tennis balls in their tank and she wondered if they were toxic and she should evacuate her fish...).

Anyway...tennis balls should never be used for animals that chew a lot since the abrasive surface causes dental attrition (the wearing down of enamel so fast that the secondary dentine cannot keep up and pulp exposure results which can cause pain, tooth death, root abcesses, flattened crowns, tooth loss and potentially a loss of lots of money for the owner). The surface of the tennis balls is mildly abrasive but over time this can be as bad as chewing on rocks. The problem is even worse when the balls are used on the beach when sand gets trapped in the fibres of the tennis ball and causes significant abrasion to the teeth.

Smooth rubber balls are best.

HTH

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this issue once again. Someone (NOT ME!!!) left the rubber ball out where silly Jayde dog could get at it during the night. Thus, it endured a severe chewing and wasn't quite the same next time we went to play. It did survive a little longer, but eventually ended up being chewed more, then falling to bits. It was a reasonably thick rubber ball, hollow with a small hole in it, presumably for sticking treats inside it and the size of a tennis ball. It was a funny sort of colour, multicoloured reds/greens/blues and white. I can't recall the brand name but think it might have started with P. I cannot for the life of me find another one like it. The retailer of the original ball has ones that are similar but are solid and quite heavy so no good for throwing and playing fetch with the ball thrower. I just questioned them as to whether they would be getting any more in and they were very vague and said something about how they don't really order stuff the rep just comes in and fills the shelves up.

I'm hoping someone here knows the ball I'm talking about and can point me in the right direction. Maybe your local petshop stocks these balls??

Hi, know the balls youre talking about but I last saw at the vets when i worked there (4yrs ago) - have you tried the rubber tubes from the inside of the milking cups? they are fantastic throw / tug / chew toys. I have a chewer like yours and these last ages. even seen him just sitting there munching on the small end and it's still in tact. If you want to be fancy - you can even stuff them with dry food like a kong.

Hi, know the balls youre talking about but I last saw at the vets when i worked there (4yrs ago) - have you tried the rubber tubes from the inside of the milking cups? they are fantastic throw / tug / chew toys. I have a chewer like yours and these last ages. even seen him just sitting there munching on the small end and it's still in tact. If you want to be fancy - you can even stuff them with dry food like a kong.

No I haven't tried that.... would they fit into a ball thrower? I want something that fits into the that. I don't like handling slobbery dog toys. The ball thrower is perfect. No need to handle that soggy slobbered ball. Its also Jayde's favourite game, and the ball thrower allows the ball to be thrown much further. I throw like a girl and can't throw stuff very far by hand.

Ohh, ok no they wont fit in there. Have you tried a monkey fist ball? You can get cotton ones or just make your own? I make them out of that strong nylon rope that has a core. (from mitre 10) then just leave a bit for a handle. My 3yr old can throw these a good distance. I can get a pic of ours if you dont know what i mean.

Ohh, ok no they wont fit in there. Have you tried a monkey fist ball? You can get cotton ones or just make your own? I make them out of that strong nylon rope that has a core. (from mitre 10) then just leave a bit for a handle. My 3yr old can throw these a good distance. I can get a pic of ours if you dont know what i mean.

Oh yeah I think I know what you mean. Could be worth looking at if I can't get these balls.

I've just spent a bit of time googling and found that the ball also comes in different colours to what I described and is possibly known as a rubber pimple ball. At least I now know what to ask the petshops for.

rubber_pimple_ball.jpg

If your dog keeps chewing on them and not giving them back, you can bring 2 or more balls with you. When you throw one, get the other ready and make it drop the ball before you throw the next one.

Thats what we do.

No thats not our issue at all. She's very good at fetching and giving us the ball. She knows that the ball won't get thrown again if she doesn't drop it. She lives for playing fetch. She thinks its the best thing in the world. Ever. Even better than food.