Tell me all you know about BN

New_to_fish_world

They will breed if they feel like it but if they don't feel like it - then tough cheese :lol:

I had mine 3 years with nothing, then suddenly they bred prolifically for a year or 2 then stopped again. 5 years later, fry have started appearing again :roll: . Nothing had changed in the tank or with the maintenance in that time.

I have no idea where mine lay their eggs as I have never seen them. The only way I know they have been up to something is when I suddenly notice fry zipping all over the place! Others have found they prefer tight spots under, or in, logs or rocks or similar hiding places.

They don't seem to care how many of each sex you have, as long as you have at least one of each to start with :wink:

Dad looks after the eggs and fry but they are pretty much on their own once they have absorbed the egg sac. They have large orange eggs and the fry are a good size when hatched. Fry wil happily suck on algae and wafers alongside the parents and other bottom feeders.

They will breed if they feel like it but if they don't feel like it - then tough cheese :lol:

I had mine 3 years with nothing, then suddenly they bred prolifically for a year or 2 then stopped again. 5 years later, fry have started appearing again :roll: . Nothing had changed in the tank or with the maintenance in that time.

I have no idea where mine lay their eggs as I have never seen them. The only way I know they have been up to something is when I suddenly notice fry zipping all over the place! Others have found they prefer tight spots under, or in, logs or rocks or similar hiding places.

They don't seem to care how many of each sex you have, as long as you have at least one of each to start with :wink:

Dad looks after the eggs and fry but they are pretty much on their own once they have absorbed the egg sac. They have large orange eggs and the fry are a good size when hatched. Fry wil happily suck on algae and wafers alongside the parents and other bottom feeders.

At what age do they start?

My male & female are about 10cm approx.

But as Caryl said they will breed when they want to breed .. lol .. just make sure you have plently of caves, hidey holes and wood with deep cervices and if the male happens to like a certain "spot" then you'll be away laughing

My male & female are about 10cm approx.

But as Caryl said they will breed when they want to breed .. lol .. just make sure you have plently of caves, hidey holes and wood with deep cervices and if the male happens to like a certain "spot" then you'll be away laughing

Where do you get the pots from.?

Or the wood for that matter.?

We got some wood from wetpets but it cost 7.50 for a small log.

Warehouse and plant places will give you broken pots for free :wink:

Mine would have been at least 3yrs before they started breeding but I do not know if this is so with others. As I have no idea which of mine are the parents now I still have no idea what age they need to be :roll:

My driftwood all came from the beach at Hokitika.

If you want gold BNs, don't keep them with the browns or they will interbreed and you will probably lose the gold colouration.