Hi

oO SKIPPY Oo

Hello - My names Craig and im from Miramar in Wellington. Ive come across this site a couple of times but not creating an account stopped me being able to search so here i am :) Im a bit of a newbie to fish (flushed a lot of goldfish but having better luck with tropicals :) )

I have a 128L tank with the following

2x Green Severums

1x Gold Severum

2x Bristlenose Catfish

3x Tiger Barbs

3x Golden Tiger Barbs

5x Odessa Barbs

5x Angels (standard wild varity i think)

1x Rainbow Shark

3x swordtails

My water paramas seem to be pretty stable

PH 7.4

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 10ppm

I have been speaking to my LFS and they seem to think that the Nitrate level is high but i have been reading comments that anything higher than 40ppm in an unplanted tank is bad and should be looked at

I do weekly water 40% changes and my water is clear i dont have an algae issue and apart from the odd whitespot breakout when adding new fish i think im doing everything right.. :)

anyway thats me and hope to gain more knowledge through you guys :)

Hi Skippy

and welcome!!

Your nitrates are perfectly fine IMO. Mine are 10-30 at times. Plants will help if you're worried though.

Maybe the LFS were thinking of nitrites which do need to be zero. Believe it or not , not all LFS have competent staff.

5ppm is fine , it will add to the amount your tank produces though.

Our water supply here has an avg of 0.21mg/L (roughly same as ppm) and the maxium allowable value in drinking water is 50ppm which is of course too much for fish.. but our tap water is not even 1ppm.

Maybe it's a temporary level in your water supply