New Discus Tank

mattwa

405? awesome stuff.

If you've got discus coming in that tank id get rid of the directional flow bar and let the water just naturally go back in the tank, but that's just me.

If you can get red tiger lotus do it. but id recommend getting the normal one first. see if that grows. If it does just bear in mind you will need more light than the normal one for it to grow well.

there does look like some neons there.

I was interested in the gravel and pH comment.. I didn't realise gravel would affect pH by much so I might look at changing mine. I have the harvest/fruit salad mix . pH is keeps creeping up but I'd like to keep it under 7.2

When we first set up a tank (over 30 years ago) we chose a lovely dark reddish coloured gravel. The pH kept shooting up over 8.0 and we couldn't figure out why. Turned out the gravel the lfs had sold us was for African tanks and designed to raise the pH! :roll:

Once we realised, and told the lfs, they said nobody else had complained and they didn't know gravel could do that :-?