OMG BLUE RAMS

A-town...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully someone locally can breed and sell them.

I think I'll stick to the normal blue rams and gold rams for now. I'm going to set up a tank with all sorts of dwarf cichlids eventully and just thought these would be awesome to add to it.

Someone had better breed them :evil: I would but space is limited and haven't tried breeding ordinary rams yet so wouldnt like the trial and error aspect.

I am considering getting a pair or 2 and giving it a go.. But I am 50/50 with the fact that normal blues keel over so easily these guys would be more inbred so weaker.. And also the fact these are a new and sort after strain internationally I wouldn't put it past the breeders to have sterilized them before sending to control the market..

I am considering getting a pair or 2 and giving it a go.. But I am 50/50 with the fact that normal blues keel over so easily these guys would be more inbred so weaker.. And also the fact these are a new and sort after strain internationally I wouldn't put it past the breeders to have sterilized them before sending to control the market..

Think ill wait to see if they can be bred :P you do it ryan then ill follow :P

I wonder how they would throw if crossed back with a "common" Blue's, If I had the space (and $$) I'd like to get 10 and try mixing it up a little (that way if they only sterilised the M or F you'd at least get a shot)

Nice looking fish Luke! Price seems reasonable too considering they're new and not exactly easy to breed.

Simian I'm not really sure why you would want to cross them back with normal rams, other than to undo all the selective breeding someone has put a lot of effort into. If anything people who breed these should be selective about the fry they sell, making sure they are as good (or better) than their parents.

Nice looking fish Luke! Price seems reasonable too considering they're new and not exactly easy to breed.

Simian I'm not really sure why you would want to cross them back with normal rams, other than to undo all the selective breeding someone has put a lot of effort into. If anything people who breed these should be selective about the fry they sell, making sure they are as good (or better) than their parents.

Good luck A-town keeps us updated with how you go hopefully you get to at least the stage where you see if the eggs are viable..

A cross back would be good to strengthen the genes but you would have to breed one of the siblings back to a parent or breed between siblings to get the colour back. Hopefully they are hardy enough not to need this.. I agree hopefully anyone who can breed them is very selective there maybe a high number of deformities etc pop up.

they were $38.50 in the Hutt and $39.90 in Porirua for some reason. Apparently waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less fish turned up than were ordered as the importer had a whitespot outbreak. If they treat them successfully maybe more will come on the market. If you want them I would start ringing the petshops now

how much are they darkfur?

Would love to get a male as i have a female gold ram who needs a mate. Seems a shame but since cant find any normal male gold rams the only option left is blues...

can't that petshop in Kuripuni get you one? they are usually good. Or the other one down here to phone would be Petone Animalz, they are the best in the region, usually have rams and are nice about ordering

I have totally taken over this thread :lol:

So one of my newbies let me take pics... this is the one I am *hoping* is a female and please please please say it is lol

EBR2.jpg

EBR3.jpg

oh please be a girl!

the other one is camera shy but is a little bigger, has bigger dorsal rays and a lot more "attitude"