Barebottoms

Morcs

How many people here have bare bottom freshwater tanks? and I dont mean breeding or hospital tanks...

I have sand at the moment and love it, but once my 3 fish get bigger (Oscar, Indo Tiger, Delhezi) im going to need every advantage I can get in keeping the tank clean, and nitrates low (without doing a stoopid amount of pwc's.)

That way I can have a spray bar at the end of the tank blowing all the crap on the bottom cleanly to the other end where intakes will be.

Would like to see some pics of ya barebottom tanks too... :)

After getting sick of the colour of my water i made my oscar tank bare bottom, its awesome to keep clean. i have recently added a second filter and now there isnt even a single bit of crud on the bottom after 2 weeks running. tanks been bare bottom for like 6 months and if anything the fish are happier as the water quality is better.

Even in my new community fighter/guppy tank im only running a very fine layer of gravel- maybe half the usual amount.

lets just say im convinced.

Have you seen that clear resin stuff with stones embedded in it? It can be done like a super chunky bowl etc. Looks like water and stones with nothing holding it up.

Anyway, I have often wondered about that to give the impression of a substrate for when people need the convenience of no substrate but want it to look a little bit nicer.

Have you seen that clear resin stuff with stones embedded in it? It can be done like a super chunky bowl etc. Looks like water and stones with nothing holding it up.

Anyway, I have often wondered about that to give the impression of a substrate for when people need the convenience of no substrate but want it to look a little bit nicer.

Oooh what a good idea, Stella! I have seen things made of that stuff - I recently saw a kitchen bench and a bathroom basin (in a shop) made like that. But they were very expensive! :(

i've got some bare bottom breeding tanks which don't need to be, but i have them that way to make it quicker to clean. My 'display' tanks all have substrate but i might have a go at a false floor type thing like pheonix's next time, it looks pretty cool :)

I have been thinking of putting black plastic or paint or something under my bare tanks, because the bright white poly doesn't look too appealing and i think the fish might adjust their colour like they do with black gravel. Anyone done this?

wow, that is really cool! :o

I would never do barebottomed unless I absolutely had to, but that is an awesome idea. Makes it look much more attractive and 'finished'.

(Imagine having flounder on a checkered tile base. Apparently sand flounder will take on the pattern of a fishing net, even down to the correct mesh size, given a few days adjustment.)