Fastwater fish and oxygen (article)

Stella

A really interesting article on why fastwater fish suffer in standard set-ups:

http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives ... ?read=1253

It is quite complex, but don't let that put you off. You can skim the more tangled bits.

The general gist is that because fastwater fish have evolved in a high oxygen environment, they have got haemoglobin with a low affinity for oxygen. Put them in a typical tank with low flow and thus low dissolved oxygen, water that is too warm (for coldwater fish) and far too many tankmates and they basically can't get enough oxygen.

There seem to be lots of fastwater fish in the trade that people don't realise are from these sorts of habitats and certainly they aren't treated as any different. I think plecos, borneo suckers and various loaches are fastwater. Does anyone have a list?

wow! i gather we can't get those here though?

Yes we can, they're usually just over $30 in the LFS when they've been available. I've bred them in a 4ft tank with a CF2200 and a seio powerhead.

Purplecatfish breeds the Tweety Hillstream loach.

It's the Sewellia lineolata that I've bred. The 300L river tank has a FX5 and two tunze 6025 powerheads.

The Tweedi's Hillstream Loach is the lizard-like predatory loach that I've got in the river tank. There's only a single one left which is excellent at controlling the swordtail (or guppy) population, dozens of females and no fry surviving more than 24 hours :o .

I've got some available for people who have a decent flow rate in their tank and want to try breeding them. I'd like to see more colonies of them, and maybe after a few generations swap the lines back into each other.

I bought 2 of these little guys many years ago (around 1993) from Hutt Pet Centre (back when Graham Foster had not long moved it to it's present shop position) I believe it was this variant..

image_thumb

Anyway I gave them no special attention, knew little about them, and placed them in my 3 foot community tank. I did however have a decent power head where I had placed the exhaust at rear of the tank blowing behind some slate rock standing up. In hindsight this created an ideal place for this fish. Some stage later I freaked out seeing a mini "Pseudogastromyzon" on the front glass. It was about 10mm long. Only saw it the once, must have been a snack for something larger after that..

Must give these guys a decent river tank and another go one day.. thanks for the article references everyone.