Corydora died- any ideas why?

oneeyedfrog

Hi, This morning DD's three lined cory "Kitty" was dead. :( DD's quite upset and would like to know why it died if possible.

It was in a 50L tank with a small bristle nose , female guppies and neons.

Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20 ph 6.8 temp 23

20 % water changes every 4 days.

The fish had no marks on it and seemed normal last night.

Lately it had been more active and the other week DD noticed the largest female guppy chasing it but we haven't seen that happen again. It had places to hide.

Shame coz it was my favourite and today they were getting moved to a bigger tank. We were looking to get more but hadn't been able to find any.

If anyone has any ideas .

Off to organise the funeral....

Sorry to hear of your lose, it's always hard losing a favorite fishie.

I would proberly put it down to - just one of those things.

Afew q's though - how many cories do you have in the tank, cories are alot happier in a group of at least 6 or more - so that could be a reason for the death?

Maybe could of been alittle stressed by being chased?

Thanks for your responses. I told her that perhaps it was just old age. :wink: She's a worrier . BTW how long do they usually live for?

It's frustrating when you cant pin down the cause - we dont want to kill anymore.

Her sister is sure the guppy killed it . I haven't heard of a killer guppy before but I supose it could stress it.

Would love to get some more coz they are great little fish.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like he did a big run up to the top for the oxygen intake and overestimated.....hit his head and voila - head injury - overnight they slowly die.

Yes Yes do get more than one they are community fish , have a least 4-8 but a least 4 and you will be laughing a lot at the sweet things they do together,

If you are in wellington I am selling for $20 5 week old bronze cordydora - raise your own kind of thing. Excellent buy as they retail for up to $16 each.

Kind regards Evey