Internal Filters

bedazzled

Hi guys,

Picking up another tank tomorrow, it is around 90 litres and the only option I really have filter wise is an internal.

However, I don't know anything about internal filters lol What I did notice while at the LFS is that most of them just have foam in them and no noodles etc, does this make the tank less stable?

So I guess my question is... If you were buying an internal filter for a 90 litre tank, which one would you choose and why?

Also I saw one on TM with a built in UV light, is this actually beneficial or not?

Thanks oh wise ones, I look forward to your replies :)

Just less surface area on the media. Add noodles if they fit. I do this to my HOB AquaClears and Shark internals.

One would assume a UV light would be beneficial but I believe you have to change the bulbs regularly for them to work properly, and the bulbs are expensive.

If your not planning on a heavily planted tank you could go for an under gravel filter, air powered can be okay, but for a few extra dollars you can get power head driven UGF's which work better and don't have that air pump hum.

I am hoping to have some plants in there but as it is quite tall I am not too sure how well that is going to go lol next thread you are likely to see from me is to ask about lighting lol

I would stay with the Shark or Fluval internal filters.

they use a sponge and don't have room for noodles.

work ok, but require monthly cleaning depending on the amount of waste your fish produce.

Thanks Wok, will check them out

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but I'm also looking at some internal filters on trademe and know nothing about them.

I am just looking to put one in my guppy baby tank. Its only a 30 L tank at the moment, but I may switch to something a bit larger so they grow out more quickly. Will the smaller fry be sucked up into this sort of filter (I can always put a stocking over it). I don't want a sponge filter because I can't stand the sound of a pump. I want something low wattage, quiet, but effective and I think I like the idea of a spray bar...

Can anyone recommend which of these brands is better trusted?

Hailea BT200 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =237665772)

JP-013F (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =237717664)

HAQOS Jular Series (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =238510139)

Aquaone 101F maxi (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =237967636)

Fluval 4 plus (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =237654938)

Cheers!

If you have small fry in a tank then a sponge filter is the way to go. You could also run a simple box filter with the lid removed so they don't get stuck in it :wink:

My Shark internal filter has 2 centre inserts over which fits 2 sponges. I am sure I could remove one insert and sponge and use noodles in that half of it couldn't I?

If you have small fry in a tank then a sponge filter is the way to go. You could also run a simple box filter with the lid removed so they don't get stuck in it :wink:

My Shark internal filter has 2 centre inserts over which fits 2 sponges. I am sure I could remove one insert and sponge and use noodles in that half of it couldn't I?

After further investigation at the LFS today I found the Sera brand has a internal filter that has a compartment for noodles and you can also buy an extra part that allows you space to add more noodles etc, reasonably priced and having looked at their tanks etc I am happy with the quality of them so have one on order. They are called a unifilter 500 but also come in 750 and 1000. There are also smaller ones.

I feel a bit more comfortable about having an internal filter now that I can have some noodles in it lol

I find that the noisiness of airpumps applies mainly to the small ones as their weight doesn't stabilize them against their motor movement. If you have a bigger one they are surprisingly quiet especially if you sit them on a sponge or something to dampen the vibrations. Magicgrip is good to sit them on too. For little wee tanks I just make my own airdriven filters out of pill bottles. Here is a not very good photo of one in action

homemade-filter.jpg

The beauty is that you can drill whatever size holes you feel like and use the media of your choice. Drill little holes in top and bottom of container, drill a bigger hole for tubing, add tubing with airstone (push to the bottom), add media and voila you have your bespoke filter. It's not pretty but neither are most airpowered filters.

i've got a couple of sponge filters made out of empty flake jars, they're a good size for my 1ft cube fry tanks. Pretty much the same design as darkfurs, except i stuck a suction cup into them so i can stick them in place, found they kept floating around otherwise :)