Tetra Tank

GeeTee

I have just changed my young blokes 32 litre goldfish tank to a tropical tank.I have a dwarf gourami and some neon tetra in it at the moment.While I was at the lfs today I notice they have all sorts of tetra's.

My question is, do all the tetra get along if we were to put some of more than one variety in the tank?

Are there any to avoid?

They seem peaceful and I'm sure it would be fine,,but it costs nothing to ask the question.

Better to have large schools of one fish than small amounts of different fish when it comes to tetras.

There are many different types of tetra so please outline the types you are thinking of. 32 Litres could hold the Gourami and about 10 Neons to be safe.

Good luck

I was only thinking of a bit of colour in the tank.

But a good size school and plenty of movement would be just as effective.

The types I saw today,well there were to many to remember.There were blue, green, gold maybe,cardinal,glowlight.

Maybe a small school or Rummynose tetras? Like 6 or so. They look really good.

They do get a little bit bigger though...

Personally I like glowlights the best but it doesn't really matter as long as you are happy with whatever tetra you get

(and 7 is a school :D)

I'll just stick with the neons for now then.

Thanks guys

Good decision, Gee Tee. A tank with lots of different tetras can look quite bitsy, but a tank with lots of one type can be spectacular! I just put a new light on my tank that has some blue in it, and my cardinals look amazing under it.

If you did want a more colourful tank you could go with the 10 tetra recommendation but have 5 Neon Tetras and 5 Glowlight Tetras. Glowlights have the orange stripe but are of a very similar shape and size to the Neon. I've had Neons and Glowlights in the same tank and they did look very cool and colourful together and they even seemed to school together at times.

Unfortunately, Neons don't seem to be as hardy as other types of tetras, and I have since lost my group of 10 that I had with my Glowlights. I also had Black Neon Tetras. TEE025.jpg

I have about 9 Glowlights and only 3-4 Black Neons as they are just leftovers of a larger group I purchased a few years ago but they all school together and get along just fine.

My brother had neons before and had trouble with them,I even told my young bloke that prior to buying. Got to the shop and forgot about that.

Not to worry,still up in the air now.

Might just take my boy to the lfs and let him choose.Easy way out.

It is "his" tank after all.

I also had Black Neon Tetras. TEE025.jpg

I have about 9 Glowlights and only 3-4 Black Neons as they are just leftovers of a larger group I purchased a few years ago but they all school together and get along just fine.

The black neons at the lps that are quite a bit older are about 8cm and the black line on them has kinda turned into a smudge

(and it's only these ones)