My first NZ saltwater tank

Vinnie

Went to the rock pools today to get a few shrimp as feeders... ended up getting more than I planned, I decided after finding some cool stuff to keep it in a 22 liter tank including the shrips lol

P1000156.jpg

There is 4 triple fins, 5 shrimps, 1 small decoration crab

also there is 4 anemones, 3 of one kind and 1 other

Will be making a better filter / chiller for it during the week (doesn't have a chiller yet)

The flat is only 15 min away from good saltwater so 50% water change tomorrow (plus have 5 liters spare from today). I did a bit of looking into what i need. My chiller / filter i will make tomorrow (hoping I have the time). Got them near titahi bay, no idea of area name sorry. all ready have plan's of a bigger tank... this one was just setup as a shrimp holding tank to start with and new filter with power head added now.

Now i just need to get / build a stand and clean out an old 200 liter tank thats sitting in my dads shed :lol:

3 Candy Striped Anemones (you know much about these guys?)

Nope

They also need feeding too, hope ya looked into that? (of course ya did! lol!)

I little but I don't have anything on after work tomorrow so lots of time to get things done

Was the tank cycled etc for them beforehand? (Im guessing so as ya went to get the shrimp?)

Yea, had it setup before I left to go out for a drive and to colect the shrimp

And the sand - did you get it from the rockpools?

yep

Wat temp was the rockpools at?

completely forgot to check

I do a lot of diving so I know where not to go, and as for poisionous stuff I had safety gloves on just in case while handling these anemones (plus tools to lower handing, and care was taken to avoid damage to them)

• 1 month later...

sweet for a first setup, as was said before , plenty of filteration / circulation is needed ,as per your critter listing , minced seafood for all the livestock (hand fed to the anemones) , and place tank in the coldest part of your house until chiller installed, rockpools vary in temps massively from cold to over tropical temps and salinities so your collecting from the hardiest points of the ocean life forms.. you can have chiller blocks floating in the current to keep heat down until chiller unit installed... have kept numerous NZ marine tanks when in Tauranga and all from exp with sea horses, octopus , stargazers, leather jackets , kelp / marble fish, mao mao , pipefish , crabs & shrimps of all types, anemones , sea weeds , sponges , etc etc blah blah... ... so keep up the good work ....

Mystic!! you playing the nazi police here!? ... lol .. yur cute as , gud on ya :)