Macrocapa ok for a tank???

Carlos & Siran

howdy guys, as I mentioned earlier, we've bought a new tank, will be setting it up in a few weeks. I've noticed that we have 3 or 4 downed Macrocarpas on the farm with all their narly twisted roots exposed, they'd look so cool in the new tank. But I know Macro has it's own insecticide, do you think it would poison the fish or the plants? does anyone know anything about using Macro in an aquarium?

I have not used it in a tank but the problem with macrocarpa seems to be the isocupressic acid. It is this that causes abortions in cattle (but not sheep). Something to do with different rumen functions in these animals.

Now, since fish are not ruminants, perhaps they will not be affected?

The site I was reading from here added that "Other symptoms including severe depression prior to abortion and in some cases animals will die if severely ill." I was wondering how you can tell a cow is depressed since they always look that way to me! :-?

I don't think so Ira as a guppy is not a ruminant. It doesn't kill all animals, just calving cows so I would give it a trial with a couple of fish and see what happens as I am sure it would look great.

It is popular in furniture as it doesn't leach but by that I suspect they mean it doesn't lose colour in the sun, rather than it doesn't leach tannins out. :-?

Sealing wood for aquaria doesn't work. It may work for a while, but eventually a little bit of water will get under and lift the varnish. And for the stuff to dry it has to be done on dry wood, which doesn't sink...

Cows affected by the stuff in macrocarpa are presumably eating the *leaves* and not the wood/roots.

Cows and sheep are much closer related than cows and fish. I would say it would probably be fine.

Really, putting ANY wood in your tank is an unknown factor, but unlikely to have much actual risk.

I think the only thing to be sure of is that the wood is fully dried out. Fresh wood can leach all sorts of resins and other things. Old wood is the way to go.

why not boil the snot out of it? surely that would help the situation? boil and boil and immerse in water for a few days then boil agian...

maybe put it in a spare tank and see if it leeches tannins into the water.

if it does keep boiling away?

might be worth a try anyway...

I asked my dad about this as we used to live on a farm with a stand of macrocarpas on it. He said they never let any calving cows or lambing sheep near them as the "fry" died. They had a pig farrow under the trees once and half were born dead and the rest were sickly and died. He said it seemed to be the leaves that were the problem.