neons dying

Guest Anonymous

the more frequent the water changes the better, you just need to make sure that the water you are adding is very similar in paramaters to the water you are taking out, and that you dont take too much water out the comlicated thing is that it not not simply a lieal equation it is logarithmic as when you do water changes (asumming you are doing a gravel vac when changing water) you are also taking out your benificial bacteria. It is logarithmic as bacteria multiply exptentially to put it in a practical scence if you water change was normally 20l a week you could to 15l twice a week. This would be good for benificial bacteria and lower amonia if you were to go to daily water changes you could get away with 7-8l a day

godd luck

daniel

I did small water changes daily when I first set up my (badly overstocked) tank. Because I had an undergravel filter I only vacuumed the gravel every 3rd change because I was worried I would keep cleaning out the good bacteria. The other times I simply bailed water out to reduce the ammonia etc. I didn't have any fish die so it must have worked.

Jude