neons dying

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

some my neons has white speck all over their fins and body. i had 3 of them die in the last 12 hrs. i think the disease is spreading, but my other community are all healthy and fine..only the neons are dying. what treatment can i do?

It sounds to me like Ich (white spot). Others here have far more knowledge than me and will be able to give you more advice but I think you should get to your petshop first thing this morning and get some white spot cure. I believe this can save some fish if its used soon enough.

Cheers

Judy

Hi Guest... welcome to the NZ Fishroom.

Would be real nice if you registered so that we know who we are talking to, and your location would help :)

Definitely sounds like White Spot, which is VERY contagious, so be careful if you have other tanks not to infect them with nets or wet hands that have been in the infected tank.

As Jude mentions... the WS cure should sort it out if you follow the instructions. The WS has to drop from the fish before it can be erradicated, so raising the temp of your tank to say 26C or 82F will speed up the process. Increase the air supply slightly due to the additional heat.

Once you see the WS have dropped from the fish... siphon the gravel to remove as many WS cysts as you can (very hard to see.. but you should get a lot with the siphon).. then continue the treatment as per the instuctions on the WS cure.

This is a topic that is often discussed, so if you do a search using the "Google" above, you may find other posts on this problem.

HTH :)

i doubt even if you use the medication on them that it will save there lives! as you said it is all over there bodies so i am assumming theyve had it for a little while and its spread! neons dnt tend to be very hardy, i would by the medication anyways not only for in the future use, but to also help erraticate the prooblem in your tank! id say you probably wont have anymore neons by the time youve finished medicating the tank as medications also put stress on the fish!

Cheers Shae

personally i have always found neons to be quite hardy, do your best, follow pegasus's advice and there is a good chance you will save some.

I said:

neons dnt tend to be very hardy

i didnt say that neons wernt hardy i jst meant generally there not the hardiest fish out there! and from my experience i have had 0% success with them, but we are in a hobby were all have there own ways, hows and whats, so i am not surprised that alot of ppl have had success with neons!

Cheers Shae

Ha ha... Thanks for the support.

If only it were that simple, but I suppose next to Stress and poor water conditions.. the biggest killer of fish would have to be White Spot, but even when things look hopeless, there is often the chance you can pull some through :)

Many fish diseases go on the "Uncurable" list, but at least WS is one of the curable ones.

Stick with it... and join up... we won't bite and it's great fun getting to know each other :)

ah...i know you guys won't bite. sorry, the guest person was me...i guess i forgot to log in when i post this question yesterday.

i look up an aquarium fish handbook and find tat common cause for this disease is

stress or shock, like simply catching or transporting fish, banging on the front of aquarium, or large changes in temperature between one aquarium.

im sure i dont bang on the aquarium or catching or transporting the fish. :-? :wink:

hit the nail on the head shuih!! also other fish can stress them! im not totally sure and one of the more experienced members should correct me if im rong but, white spot could be likened to stress in humans, except for that stress shortens our lives and it tends to kill fish if not combated quiekly, fish always have the virus that causes white spot, but it only becomes a problem once they have become harrased/stressed. wether it be by other fish, transportation from a shop or freind etc or by being ruff and frightening them! also there can be water conditions that lpay a roll in it also!

Cheers Shae

yeah sea salt is all good but all you need is tonic salt or rock salt. as long as it sais "contains no iodine" or "contains no freeflowing agents"

I use "red sea, sea salt because it is what I have for my native marine tank and for the little amount used it isnt worth holding 2 different types (especially got confused and used the wrong one :))