locust breeding

herperjosh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I have heard locusts need heat of some form to breed but I imagine adaquate heat could be provided through putting them next to an oil heater. that was funny when I found you in hereford street reptile shop aye :)

lol i was like walking in like in my own world and as soon as i herd hi herperjos i was just like huh omg hi peter lol :lol:

• 11 months later...

just set up a locust enclose, its made of wood with glass front, 750x600x550 (hxwxd) with 2 100w spot lamps. ive read that the temps should be 30-35. mine is about 28 at the top and at midday can get up to 45 on the floor directly under the lights. is this to hot?????

locust eat grass, bran - i hear if you starve them they will eat cabbage whcih is easy to get year round.

i find grass dont grow much during winter. and if i leave it unmowed in summer my house looks like a drug dealers house.

anyway

they are easy tob reed.

i just have a 100w bulb haning int he middle of teh tank, on for 10 hours.

this heats it up. then on one side, peat, other is feeding wide with the bulb on the food.

i started wtih 30 females and had more than 1000.

but, make sure you clean the poo.

my tank is accessed from above, whcih im changing.

cos they fly UP - so using a spare lizard cage to breed.

beetles infested and are eating the locusts lol

but they are easyt o breed!

and the females keep laying till they die! amazing!

oh yes, babies climb......vaseline the sides

can make it yourself, i used an old exo terra screw fitting lamp.

dont under estimate them

i use them, the good thins is that they are insulated i think. the heat is directed well to one direction means the tank heats up better

56 is actually worth it.

the only place i know to get them from is maybe a place taht sells lamps for pigs or something,

the exo terra lamps are designed to focus heat into a direction...and it works well

I use an exo terra terrarium 600x450x450 and a 40,60 or 75 watt normal bulb 24/7 depending on the time of year and remove the egg container to another one the same to hatch. They are both insulated with polystyrene. The neonates climb the glass and can therefore be removed to other containers for a week (I have 6 of) and then they are all at pretty similar sizes.

if you want to keep them in one container,start feeding out the adults when the eggs start hatching, damp vermiculite is a realy good laying medium as well,whatever you use change the medium after every cycle to stop parasites and other nasties building up.