breeding meal worms

snake kid

Hi ablut two or three month ago I started breeding meal worms for my pets (I have a fair few :bounce: ) and according to what Ive read and seen about breeding they should already me bettles. they just get REALLY big (2-3 centimeters long)

there are no bettles any where in the cage why is this so I have heard of things called super worms which get bigger and don't change untill put on there own but we don't have them here and I bought these from biosupplies.

What is happening?

Hi ablut two or three month ago I started breeding meal worms for my pets (I have a fair few :bounce: ) and according to what Ive read and seen about breeding they should already me bettles. they just get REALLY big (2-3 centimeters long)

there are no bettles any where in the cage why is this so I have heard of things called super worms which get bigger and don't change untill put on there own but we don't have them here and I bought these from biosupplies.

What is happening?

when they go into a cacon the other meal worms ussaly eat it so you might not see any as soon as you see a cacon put it in an other tank with no mealworms

mine have heaps of beetles,worms and pupae in there.If they have adequate water in the form of a carrot or spud they don`t seem to eat the pupa?Your problem could be the temperature?Mine are in the lower hotwater cuppboard and with a wetback connected to the fire it gets rather wam in there at times?Mine change too fast for me if anything?

Put them in a warmer place and the process will happen faster. As has been said, always make sure your worms have sliced apple or carrot so they dont eat the pupa. Even if they do eat them you will see remains from them. If you cant see any remains of any eaten pupa then my guess is that they are too cold and have not yet reached the stage of changing. Good luck. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh I didn't know they would eat the pupae!

I hadn't seen any beetles in a while but I did find a pupa the other night.

Just sifted through, found one pupa and no eaten ones. Also a few live beetles, so that is promising!

I do suspect it is most likely temperature related. Most things slow down over winter. But will defintely be providing moisture more often.