Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

breeding meal worms

Featured Replies

Hi ablut two or three month ago I started breeding meal worms for my pets (I have a fair few :bounce: ) and according to what Ive read and seen about breeding they should already me bettles. they just get REALLY big (2-3 centimeters long)

there are no bettles any where in the cage why is this so I have heard of things called super worms which get bigger and don't change untill put on there own but we don't have them here and I bought these from biosupplies.

What is happening?

Hi ablut two or three month ago I started breeding meal worms for my pets (I have a fair few :bounce: ) and according to what Ive read and seen about breeding they should already me bettles. they just get REALLY big (2-3 centimeters long)

there are no bettles any where in the cage why is this so I have heard of things called super worms which get bigger and don't change untill put on there own but we don't have them here and I bought these from biosupplies.

What is happening?

when they go into a cacon the other meal worms ussaly eat it so you might not see any as soon as you see a cacon put it in an other tank with no mealworms

  • Author

mixture of things bran,seeds,crushed up wheet bix, bits of whole meal bread they are in an old plastic tub with ventilation holes about three times the size of an average lunch box

mine have heaps of beetles,worms and pupae in there.If they have adequate water in the form of a carrot or spud they don`t seem to eat the pupa?Your problem could be the temperature?Mine are in the lower hotwater cuppboard and with a wetback connected to the fire it gets rather wam in there at times?Mine change too fast for me if anything?

I use weat germ, oatmeal and yeast flakes and I put in thin slices of apple for moisture, a little a couple of times a week. Just enough for them to consume. They get very sluggish when cold so perform better when warm.

Put them in a warmer place and the process will happen faster. As has been said, always make sure your worms have sliced apple or carrot so they dont eat the pupa. Even if they do eat them you will see remains from them. If you cant see any remains of any eaten pupa then my guess is that they are too cold and have not yet reached the stage of changing. Good luck. :)

  • 3 weeks later...

Oooh I didn't know they would eat the pupae!

I hadn't seen any beetles in a while but I did find a pupa the other night.

Just sifted through, found one pupa and no eaten ones. Also a few live beetles, so that is promising!

I do suspect it is most likely temperature related. Most things slow down over winter. But will defintely be providing moisture more often.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.