maggots as a live food??

tonka toy

but then clean is what you keep them in....

if you left, say cheese out to get maggots, the resultant maggots would only have some cheese on them, and therefore wouldnt bo so...unclean?

maggots have been used for centaries in medical feild to get rid of Necrotizing fasciitis (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis) and to get dead skin etc out of major wounds. they only eat dead flesh you see, and leave teh living flesh alone, thereby cleaning the wound and stopping gangrean or other infections from causing the need for amputation etc...

ah, lovely maggots..... :lol:

Yes you are right Maggots only eat decaying flesh.

But they also excreate an enzyme that causes flesh to decay so when we use them (laval therapy) to debride eschar then we have to be very careful about how long they are in a wound.

They are also a special type of larvae rather than just any old house fly....lol

HTH

Navarre

So is it a yes if they are kept in bran for a few days? Its just we live on a farm and access to maggots in summer is rather easy work :wink:

are you pulling the wool? :D

over our eyes

taking maggots off a carcasse may be a source of infection depending what the animal died from

use some dog food etc and grow your own :wink:

No I was not pulling the wool! LOL I meant we live next to the bush and we have flys that will lay eggs on ANYTHING!!!! You cant even leave a jersey on the rails in the height of summer!!!

Of course I would culture them on good stuff :bounce:

So feeding them YES??????

Regarding spreading disease:

You can only get sick if pathogens that cause disease in your species enter your body in appropriate places/numbers/times.

If a sheep died of a sheep disease and I ate it, I would not get the sheep disease.

Also most disease pathogens die pretty soon after the host dies. Disease (etc) microorganisms are not the same ones that cause decomposition.

Your stomach (and that or most animals) produces kickass acid, one of the main reasons is to kill off microbes. Ever wondered how a dog can eat rotten muck and faeces and not get sick?

So you are not going to introduce disease to your tanks in any way other than by introducing the microorganisms that cause disease, which were shed by another fish.

Of course some pathogens are everywhere anyway (eg fungal) in which case they are... everywhere anyway....

So you aren't going to get a fish sick by feeding it a wild terrestrial insect (in the vast majority of cases).

I don't know if there is a legitimate reason for needing to empty the gut of a maggot, but I doubt it (I know it is often stated that it must be done, but I would like to see actual science)

Charles Mitchell, the 'whitebait farmer' in Raglan hangs possum carcasses over his ponds and the maggots fall off into the water and get eaten.

My understanding with flyblown sheep and maggots only eating dead flesh, is the maggot initially eats bacteria living in the wet wool. The maggot secretes acids which eat at the flesh and kill it, creating maggot food.