Soda Bottle Fighters?

SamH

It is definitely safe as the fish is protected from current and has no one to nip the fins.

Healthy is how well you maintain the water.

I have seen numerous people keeping them in this manner and the fish are fine healthy specimens.

However there is a difference between housed in close quarter barracks and having a larger tank setup to itself.

I'm just not quite convinced. I mean I get the point in the short term, to keep males from fighting each other, but can fish really be happy in that much water?

I can fit 10 bottles in my 45x25x25 tank with a little bit of room at the back but would this mean huge filtration and/or heaps of water changes?

it should be dead easy to make small dividers. you need plastic grates, and silicone or araldite; and the ability to measure and cut plastic.

then you can make little boxes for each fighter to stay in. alternatively, get some normal plastic sheets, and create dividers in a tank and hold them up with suction cups.

The male fighters that are imported are kept in very small jars until mature and sold but the labour costs of water changes are a lot cheaper than here. When I was breeding fighters I made a tank within a tank and the inside one was divided into sections 80x80x200mm and the internal tank had a mesh bottom. To do a water change I lifted the inside tank and then let it fall back in to place---easy as. Males develop better fins if they are kept seperated but able to see other males.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40064

something like this would be a lot better

That tank is just under 21 litres so each fighter has about 5 litres. Theres not really a lot of difference in the way I do it with 1.5 litre drink bottles sitting in my 250 litre tank. The 20 odd bottles get a share of the 100+ litres of water except that this cycles constantly through 2 cannister filters and a uv steriliser. To clean out the bottles all I do is lift them up, give them a swirl and any remaining muck comes out and up the filter.

Certainly they have more swimming space in a tank but when you have multiple males they spend more time flaring at each other if they can or if they can not see other males they tend to just hang there.

In the wild fighters have very little water to swim in, so keeping them is more about keeping the tank water clean and germ free.

Well imo its better than sticking them in the betta holders where as adults they can barely move (some of my boys grow 6cm plus). At least in bottles they can swim around and up and down. Unless you want to go one tank per fish. I've been there done that, it makes for a lot of work and filters. In saying that I don't keep that many fish for long lengths of time and most of the ones I sell go to community tanks anyway :D

I have a ten month + male fighter that has lived his whole life inside a container. He is healthy, active and appears happy. The only thing extra he does get is the occasional 2 1/4 litre bottle as a house instead of the 1 1/2 and every so often the chance to swim inside a small tank for 20 or so minutes.

Apart from whats you know where - my only two spawns are 6 weeks old so will be ready when i get back from europe - looking good - blacks, blues, red & blacks, white with black fins.As long as they don't kill each other while I'm gone there should be some very nice fighters available mid - late October. I only have 3 tanks running atm and will be down to 2 in another couple of weeks I hope.